Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP shuts down on its own

• Please log in to reply

lorothrigs

lorothrigs

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

if it is a legit site ...then why does it show up at hijack remote.com

http://www.hijackrem...reDetail65.aspx

if your using it frequently then by all means reinstall it

If it's not legit then why does CastleCops say it is?

http://www.castlecop.../o9list-38.html

Advertisements

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
My BSOD error:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF508B698, 0xF4F549F4, 0x00000000)

I found out the following: If I turn off my "Automatic Windows Update" all my problems are gone. System works fine, no errors or shutdows. Very strange. "Windows Firewall" is not still not working.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's not an easy error code...it's got a lot of possibilities...

go to www.memtest.org and follow instructions for making a bootable memtest disk and run it for about 2 hours...report any errors (probably won't be any)

do start > run > chkdsk /f when it asks if you want to schedule on reboot..say yes and reboot...let that run to completion uninterupted (maybe 45 minutes or so) and report any errors

do you have your xp cd?

i'm not terribly worried about the windows firewall right this second...reason#1...it sucks...reason#2 you said that you have sygate firewall installed.. i believe that sygate disables the windows firewall

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ran the memory test for 7 hours and it did not find any errors there. the chkdsk was fine as well. No errors. Unfortunatelly, I don't have a WinXP CD.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have access to an xp cd of the same type (xp home, xp pro)

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No, I don't. Sorry about that. Never got it with the computer in the first place.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so...no friends with an xp cd or nothing?

what type of computer is this (make and model...age of the system would be helpfull too)

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No, I am afraid I can't get CD now. Computer is three years old. HP Pavilion a230n; 512mb, 2800MHz. I think my 'windows update' files got somehow corrupted. I wanted to show you this article I found the other day. Do you think I should try it? http://www.petri.co....ms_800a138f.htm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i say give that a shot....(i've seen that done before and it helped that user)

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
on a side note from personal experience...

www.zerospyware.com is a nice program you can download, has a 14 free trial, but it scans your pc for spyware as well as all your programs for vulnerabilities and the links to where you can find the updates/patches for these items...

Its worth installing zerospyware just to see what it can find, although make sure if you do download and install it, you update it before fully scanning your system. I have found in many cases it finds things that spydoctor, xoftspy, ewido, spybot and etc... about 10 other programs cant find.

I also reccomend possibly downloading / installing the windows xp SP2 standalone file ( if you cant access windows update ). It sometimes overwrites some files and fixes issues...

If it was my computer however, I would look for a winxp cd, and do a restore. Sounds like your system has been damager pretty badly due to whatever that virus was.

In all reality look at it this way... You could spend days and hours trying to repair something you know nothing about, hoping people online may be able to provide info on your specific info... or you can just skip that, take a day to yourself, a saturday, backup stuff you want to keep, format and reinstall windows, then its a clean boot from there and you can start over...

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 27 July 2006 - 01:41 PM.

Advertisements

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
dsenette, could you tell me how do I solve when my system does not shut properly it just 'hangs' at "saving your settings" screen. I have to unplugg it from the electricity to turn it off. I was trying to fix the Windows Update without any success. Thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have recovery disks at all? wht kind of computer is this (make and model) do you have the ability to back up your important data?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Can you look int the Event Viewer in "Administrative Tools"? Please post exact error message include any string of charactor listed.

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No back up disks or XP disks at all. Computer is three years old 2.8 GHz, 512MB, running XP home; HP Pavilion a230n.

I can shut it down without problems from the other profile. Also, when I click, Start, log off, and then switch off from the welcome screen everything works from there no hanging at the ''saving your setting'' screen, unlike my other profile.

couple of errors from system viewer with the red X next to it:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 8/3/2006
Time: 7:34:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: D6G2DEV
Description:
The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event ID: 7000
Time: 7:29:52 PM
Description:
The mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Description:
The DgiVecp service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Description:
The Print Port Scanner Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Event ID: 7023
Time: 2:27:00 PM
Description:
The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Try running, Start> Run> sfc /scannow