Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP shuts down on its own

• Please log in to reply

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just ran it, everything seems to be fine.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
log on as administrator (or another user with privelages) and copy ALL of the offending user's documents (the files INSIDE of my documents...not the folder) and anything else that is in that user's profile that the others can't access over to a folder on the c drive....delete the offending user from controll pannel as well as their folder under documents and settings...restart and create the user again...then move those files back over

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sounds good to me, I will do that. Question, is there any other folder you think I should copy besides: C:\Documents and Settings? Any other locations where data of each individual user are stored? Don't want to delete anything I might need later on. Thank you.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
anything (in theory) saved in a folder not located in documents and settings\username should be public...there MAY be some files for certain programs (config files) that may reside somewhere in ther but it's hard to say without knowing

d6g2

d6g2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I was copying the files from my old profile to the new one, but it was not working. Along with the files I copied something that causes computer not to finish the shutdown. Same old story...brand new profile. I am giving up on that. What do you think I should do to make my updates work properly?