Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Closing Norton Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

special-one

special-one

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Dear experts,

Is it possible to close Norton Antivirus 2006 temporarily while working ?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Right-click on its tray icon and choose "Disable Auto-Protect". An option will appear asking you if you want to do this for XX minutes or until system restart.

special-one

special-one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks Jones, but the point here i forgot to mention that .. i also have to free some memory .. so in order to free memory, i guess we have to completely close Norton Antivirus, not just disabling it.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you don't mind going through a small process to do it, just open the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE) and then find all the norton Processes and end them... Not safe, but possible. If you're looking for another method, Safe Mode is always an alternative.

special-one

special-one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have already tried CTRL ALT DELETE .. but that didn't work .. Norton consider itself as a System process .. whenever you try to .. end the process .. the popup shows up .. that "The operation could not be completed". Surely safe mode is another option .. but it requires restart. The thing i am talking here is only the Shut down of Norton Antivirus, while all other activities are running.

Thanks for your time Knight.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The easiest option, without causing issues or removing Norton, is to use the PC in Safe Mode when you don't want Norton to run.

special-one

special-one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks Knight, Do anyone have any other solution ?

Edited by special-one, 23 July 2006 - 03:50 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Does Symantec have any comment on this?

special-one

special-one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i dont know any comment by Symantec on this issue

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I'm not sure if anyone really has a great answer, but try contacting them. Who knows, they might suprise us lol By the way, E-mail is free. Don't waste the $30 to call them.

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
special-one.... The most helpful (responsive) G2G Staff member I have dealt with re: Symantec/Norton is Johanna (G2G global moderator). We have corresponded a number of times re: various Norton issues in the last year or so. You will find few, if any, other G2G folks that support Norton. However, Johanna seems to know the in's & out's of Norton software well (perhaps others simply leave it to Johanna).

I have been a Norton AV user for many years (not a statement of support since I will soon change to another AV software).

In any case, you can PM Johanna by looking for a G2G topic with her name on the list (she has recent posts under the category Internet & Browsers) or by contacting her on her website at http://www.johannanko.net/.

Hope this helps you. Johanna has been very helpful for me re: Norton software.

Keep the faith.... ProEd