Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP wont address all 4 GB of RAM

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Windows only c's 3.25 of my 4 GB of RAM...same goes w/ DXdiag.exe.......but CPUz c's all 4 ..........y doesnt windows c all 4. Vista didnt c all 4 either so i assume its the BIOS that needs update

Advertisements

Donarudo

Donarudo

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I thought that was normal. Happens to me all the time. Sometimes with memory and somtimes with the speed of my processor. I ran a few test and realized that it's not that you're only using the amount they say you have but it's because that's how much you currently have left i.e. my processor is 2.2 GHz but when i check the specs it varies depending on how busy my processor is.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Ummm, sry donarudo, but you are incorrect. Windows xp does have memory limitations and the physical ram limit is at 3,
read this
http://bink.nu/forum...5/ShowPost.aspx
Plus dude... what do you need 4 gigs for? lol

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is both a BIOS and a Windows issue.

Many BIOSes limit the amount of available memory because Windows XP has great difficulty in working with more than 3.5Gb of the stuff due to the way its been made.

XP 64-bit and the upcoming Windows Vista (and Windows Server 2003) completely do away with this issue and will up the limit to something well past the 10Gb mark, which should futureproof us all for a few more years :whistling:

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I figured it was BIOS/gaydows xp ...i didnt want to reflash unless i knew i had 2 .... W/ Vista gaming 4 GB will b a must....plus Corsair XMS was super cheap ($128 USa 2 GB 50 mir)