Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recent News

• Please log in to reply

PC101

PC101

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Howdy!

I'm really keen on the "Recent News" section on the home page of G2G. I'm curious... is it a custom made hack or one unique to Invision? It's NEAT... it's so compact! :whistling:

Thanks!

Lyte

p.s. I tried to post this in the FAQ section but it's not open yet. :blink:

Edited by PC101, 22 July 2006 - 05:22 PM.

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Its just something that was put up that acts as a quick link to the news that Admin or others post on a daily basis. They do a great job at finding interesting news. And its not a "hack", we dont have any "hacks" here at GTG, but I doubt that you meant it in the way that we all read "hack" :whistling:

PC101

PC101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Oh Lord no! LOL A "hack" in forum terms is another word for a modification. When I started my own forum I was totally puzzled when people started talking about all the hacks I could add to it. I was like... huh?! :whistling:

I've been wanting to add an RSS feed/News hack/mod to my forum for sometime now and was thinking about this one...

http://www.vbulletin...ad.php?t=107319

but then a friend mentioned something about using "article bot" which is another good option. But then... I noticed the "Recent News" on G2G's home page. I was curious as to whether that was a standard (open source) mod/hack or if it was something custom to G2G. :blink:

Anyway... it's a coin toss at this point with which direction I'll go. :help:

Lyte

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The home page script is VirtuaNews, and unrelated to Invision. I really can't recommend it as the author has been AWOL for about 6 months, and it hasn't had an update in two years. The recent news is a standard feature of that script. The recent forum posts were a small modification (hack :whistling:).

PC101

PC101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Ahh.... thanks for the reply! :help:

One mod that was suggested to me is this one...

Talk VB - Most recent posts

But, if I understood the site's admin correctly, it can also be used for adding news too! :whistling:

Thanks again for letting me know 'bout VirtuaNews and its author... err... or lack there of. :blink:

Lyte