Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad CPU?

• Please log in to reply

scewing

scewing

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm upgrading a friends computer by installing a new MB and CPU (something I've done a number of times now). I've encountered a problem this time.

The motherboard is a Chaintech CT-7VIF4 and the CPU is an AMD Sempron 2200.
I purchased them brand new from an online retailer that offered them as a combination at a discount so I think I can rule out compatability issues.

I bench tested them and cannot get them to boot. When the Power supply is plugged in, the PS fan and the CPU fan spin for about a second and stop (normal). Then when the power button is pressed, nothing happens. I've reseated the memory and the CPU as well. I also tried powering up the MB without the CPU with success which leads me to believe it may be the CPU.

Although I have a hunch the problem is with the CPU, I'm just having trouble believing a brand new CPU right out of the box has gone bad. Although, I've heard that sometimes that just happens, it has'nt happened to me before. I made sure I had no static and literally installed the CPU straight from the box into the MB.

Anyone have any other ideas, or have encountered this problem before and know what it may be or other tests I could run? I don't have any alternate MBs or CPUs to swap around, although I did try 3 different power supplies all with the same result.

Thanks,
Scott

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Are you getting any beeps, A bad or failing CPU may cause a slow, single beep or unrecognized beep code accompanied by no display screen.

If you are getting no beeps then try removing the ram and power up if you have a case speaker hooked up and get no beeps my guess would be the mobo

Also try resetting the cmos

Rick

scewing

scewing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried resetting CMOS. pulling the RAM. Still the same result.....and no beeps.

However, I tried pulling the CPU and powering up again, both fans still ran constant. When I replaced the CPU and powered up again I got one single beep (the first one ever). But I tried repeating that lil procedure and never got any more beeps. So now I'm REALLY unsure....the mobo or the CPU.

ardillon

ardillon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Does the MB have a certain temp restriction on CPU? Maybe the fan is not cooling enough? Just a suggestion. I had something similar in which I would get a beep once in a while or 4 lonng beeps and then everything shut down (fans etc.) so i just replaced the cpu fan and it worked....

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea I am unsure also, I am guessing the mobo because its hard to force a beep, but without swaping around its very hard to tell.

You mentioned you bought it as a combo could you return both and let them sort it out?

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One other thing look at the board very carefully for bulging or leaking capaciters, look undeneath the board for burnt or scorch marks.

I doubt you will see anything though because it is new.

Rick

jayr517

jayr517

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm having the same exact problem. Brand new CPU, mobo, memory...everything. Everything brand name. Asus P5GPL mobo, Intel 3.0GHz HT CPU, Corsair XMS memory, Asus Vid card.

The thing won't post...no beeps, nothing. Only the fans turn on (including the CPU fan). I've replaced every component except the CPU (memory, mobo, vid card) and it still won't post. It's hard for me to believe the CPU is busted right out of the box, but it's the only part I haven't changed, and the PC just won't post.

The CPU doesn't even get warm...the fan blows cold air.

scewing

scewing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't think our problem is the same. On mine the fans would only turn on for maybe 1 second and shut right down.

I just figured out the problem with mine today. I did not actually attach the fan to the CPU. I only plugged the fan in to the power connector. The fan came with the heat sink goo already on it. I didn't put it on the CPU because of that (just in case I the CPU was bad). I finally decided to actually clip the fan on and it fired up perfectly. Go figure.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
By the cpu fan not pluged into the correct header on the mobo bios sensed that the cpu fan was not working and would shut the system down.

Rick

scewing

scewing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, the CPU fan WAS plugged in to the correct jack. The fan was not physically ON the CPU. I literally placed the fan onto the CPU and fastened the clips and tried booting again and it worked.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If the hs was not attached I wonder if the cpu could get hot enough in a couple of seconds and shut down.

Yea your right go figure

jonzah

jonzah

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I've got the same problem as jayr517. Turn on the PC, CPU fan spins but nothing on the screen. I've taken the MB out of the case and sat it on its box, connected the memory and video card and plugged in a PSU, KB and monitor but still nothing. I've tried the CPU in 2 other MB with the same results. Interestingly I also tested it in an All-Onboard MB and it worked. However, the All-Onboard doesnt have the number of PCI slots that I need. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Aled

Edited by jonzah, 12 April 2005 - 05:56 AM.

ardillon

ardillon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This may sound dumb, but make sure your on and off switch is properly connected to the PC external box (case). Read your mobo's manual....

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
lol not to be funny but how do u expect the poxy thing to work if u dont connect the heatsink and fan to the cpu socket, common sense dictates that u do, well to me atleast.

jayr517

jayr517

• Pip
  • 4 posts

This may sound dumb, but make sure your on and off switch is properly connected to the PC external box (case). Read your mobo's manual....

View Post

Do you think we're idiots? Why don't you just ask us to make sure we know how to plug the cord into the wall.