Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad CPU?

• Please log in to reply

jayr517

jayr517

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi,

I've got the same problem as jayr517.  Turn on the PC, CPU fan spins but nothing on the screen.  I've taken the MB out of the case and sat it on an antistatic bag, connected the memory and video card and plugged in a PSU, KB and monitor but still nothing.  I've tried the CPU in 2 other MB with the same results.  Interestingly I also tested it in an All-Onboard MB and it worked.  However, the All-Onboard doesnt have the number of PCI slots that I need.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Aled

View Post

Hey jonzah, I did fix this. It was a bad CPU. I ordered a new one and it worked fine.

Advertisements

jayr517

jayr517

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi,

I've got the same problem as jayr517.  Turn on the PC, CPU fan spins but nothing on the screen.  I've taken the MB out of the case and sat it on an antistatic bag, connected the memory and video card and plugged in a PSU, KB and monitor but still nothing.  I've tried the CPU in 2 other MB with the same results.  Interestingly I also tested it in an All-Onboard MB and it worked.  However, the All-Onboard doesnt have the number of PCI slots that I need.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Aled

View Post

(I also confirmed this by trying the CPU on 3 different mobo's)

Edited by jayr517, 11 April 2005 - 08:01 PM.

jonzah

jonzah

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Cheers for that jayr517, but I now suspect that there might be more to it. I build computers for a living. Bought 2 brand new Sempron 2200+ processors. Decided to test one of them in the first MB that I had a problem with and it too was dead (CPU fan just spinning but no post). Tested the processor in a couple of other brand new MB and same problem yet again.

I also found out that a customer that bought a MB of me yesterday installed a fully working 2200+ from another system. He got exactly the same problem we had. Put it back into his original systems and... same problem. The MB seams to have killed the processor. He made some checks around the area that I work, and found that a number of Computer Shop's / companies had reported similar if not identical problems all over the last 2 1/2 week. It seams that I'm not as stupid or slow as I thought I was getting. MB's are M848A PCChips FSB400. I have possibly bought some out of a bad batch.

Needless to say, I'm scared of putting anymore CPU's anywhere near these MB. I really don’t want to think what I'm going to put down on the returns form.

Edited by jonzah, 13 April 2005 - 10:01 AM.

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yikes Jonzah!

That's not good news.

I know margins are tough but I would rather stick to so-called "quality brands" and pass the cost on to the client with an honest explanation, it's getting the customer in the door with the extra cost that is the hard part.

Not that the more renowned brands are immune from bad boards either, I know a few enthusiasts who find Asus boards dead on purchase for example, though it's difficult to make a valid decision unless you see it with your own eyes. People do dumb things with hardware, and in haste, it's easy to perform those little component destroying fopars.

Yet, I'm firmly of the opinion that the mainboard makes the machine, and board choice is paramount in my system builds. There a quite a few manufacturers who only get me on their "support" pages.

But CPU destroying mainboards? I'm glad it wasn't me! :tazz:

Edited by Congo, 13 April 2005 - 11:57 AM.

jonzah

jonzah

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Yet, I'm firmly of the opinion that the mainboard makes the machine, and board choice is paramount in my system builds. There a quite a few manufacturers who only get me on their "support" pages.

I do so completely agree with you. My own system would never use a "budget" mainboard. The problem is that customers want the best deal. I do supply better boards, but its the PCChips of the world that are the better sellers. If my customers cant get them off me, they will go elsewhere.

After a bit of thinking and testing, I've come to the conclusion that the problem must lie in the boards and not in the processors. I'm currently in talks with my suppliers to see if they know if there is a problem, because its certainly a problem for me. 2 customers now are asking for me to replace their processors because the mainboards (that they bought off me) have killed them.

Ho, hum... I'll let you guys know how I get on

wrhipno

wrhipno

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

I'm upgrading a friends computer by installing a new MB and CPU (something I've done a number of times now). I've encountered a problem this time.

The motherboard is a Chaintech CT-7VIF4 and the CPU is an AMD Sempron 2200.
I purchased them brand new from an online retailer that offered them as a combination at a discount so I think I can rule out compatability issues.

I bench tested them and cannot get them to boot. When the Power supply is plugged in, the PS fan and the CPU fan spin for about a second and stop (normal). Then when the power button is pressed, nothing happens. I've reseated the memory and the CPU as well. I also tried powering up the MB without the CPU with success which leads me to believe it may be the CPU.

Although I have a hunch the problem is with the CPU, I'm just having trouble believing a brand new CPU right out of the box has gone bad. Although, I've heard that sometimes that just happens, it has'nt happened to me before. I made sure I had no static and literally installed the CPU straight from the box into the MB.

Anyone have any other ideas, or have encountered this problem before and know what it may be or other tests I could run? I don't have any alternate MBs or CPUs to swap around, although I did try 3 different power supplies all with the same result.

Thanks,
Scott

View Post

Eh, I've been there with you man. My brand new computer that i just build about a week ago did the same thing. Fans spin for a sec, then powers off, ect... I sent the CPU back, and I should be getting a new one today. I'll let you know what happens.