Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

9800 PRO tearing

• Please log in to reply

Tmoney

Tmoney

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hi,

I bought a 9800 PRO 128MB and after reformating to get rid of all the old dirvers etc. I installed it. Worked perfect until I attempted to play WOW and SWG. I got crazy tearing and after exiting the game, the tearing including vertical lines remained on the desktop.

I bought a artic cooler for it (not saying it is or isn't a heating problem) and it seemed to reduce it. After about a week it returned to an unplayable condition. I tried several different drivers and no luck.

Please help....if u need to veiw my divx versions just say so and any other type of scans.

I don't know everything about PCs obviously so plz try and make directions newb understandable

Specs:
AMD Antholn™ XP 2200+ 1.80 GHz
512 MB DDR RAM
Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB
Gigabyte 7N400 Pro II nVidia Socket A ATX Motherboard / AGP 8X
/ Audio / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID
300watt PS

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do you have an LCD monitor? Try enabling v-sync for your video card.

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Hey Admin,

I would move this topic if needed to be, but unsure of the location it belongs in.

What is tearing... :tazz:

;)

Tmoney

Tmoney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I attempted to trying running the games in Vsync but the only option i could find was "wait for Vertical Sync" withe following options:
Always On , Alwayz Off, Default On, Default Off I trying all of them and the problem keeps occuring.

Oh and the "tearing" is pixel distortion, vertical lines stretched across the screen, and some people call it artifacts I believe. This only happens once I open a grphic demanding game, on start up it runs perfectly fine, try and play a game and I get trouble.

Tmoney

Tmoney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
sry about spelling

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you're not overclocking your card and getting artifacts -- then it's defective. I'd warranty it.

Tmoney

Tmoney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
k thanks...ill send it in

Tmoney

Tmoney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
long time no talk. i just got it back from ati, and im getting same problems, could a power problem cause this, or driver problem(ive tried both omegas and catalyst and get same problem not matter wat settings). Besides those 2 im really clueless, ive reformatted twice in attempts to fix it...plz HELP =(

thanks

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
change the resolution of the game-i get a similar problem in cod when my resolution is too wide.

Nixx

Tmoney

Tmoney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
it helps a bit, but it still haapens enough to mess up eventually

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I would get a better power supply 300w is the minimum Ati recomends get a name brand at least 400w and you will be ok.

Rick

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
After a little research, I found that the mb could create problems. I don't know more than that, but try memtest and make sure there is no physical damage.

Nixx

Tmoney

Tmoney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
my PS is in the mail on its way..and im looking at a new mb. would pci express be the better way to go..if i plan on getting a new vid card to?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes pci express is the way to go now

Tmoney

Tmoney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
k kool ty