Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i make a link to a file?

• Please log in to reply

George1234

George1234

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
im trying to make a link to a file,like a link to a website only when youy click it a messagebox aoppears asking if you with to open or save or run, etc? you know the routine,i want to make a link that takes you to the download part of a file or program.

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Are you talking about a link in a web page? In a web page, linking to some website is the same as linking to some file. The appearance of Download dialog box depends on the type of file you link to.

Edited by Comnir, 23 July 2006 - 06:02 AM.

George1234

George1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
just wunderin how i can make a link,that when you click it,a box asks if you would like to download or run save whatever. on any file wheather it be jpg, exe, zip, bat, txt, anything.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
http://addressHere.com/filename.ext

it will display image files, and prompt whether to run or save files such as exe, zip, rar, bat, etc.

-Ryan

George1234

George1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok the addresshere.com thing, what is the address? u mean like C:\program files kinda thing? cause id rather not have to host everything on the internet just to be able to do that, or is that the only way?