Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor enters "Power Save" at Startup

• Please log in to reply

Hyalucent

Hyalucent

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. Thanks in advance for any help you folks can offer. My problem is with my monitors entering "power saving" mode or just turning off upon start up. It's happening with two different monitors and on two different computers so I was wondering if it was related to the power coming from my outlets. I've unplugged everything but the computer and monitor but it's still shutting down. It's possible that the two outlets I tested are on the same fuse but I thought I'd post something here and see if I am barking up the wrong tree. Maybe it's a combination of things that appear the same on the surface.

I have a Cicero desktop, 2.6 MHz, and I have an Acer laptop, 1.5 MHz.
The monitors are a Viewsonic E90 and an LG 17" Flatron LCD.

Desktop + Viewsonic = "Shut off in five seconds" message then monitor shuts off.

Laptop + Viewsonic = "Shutdown in five seconds" message then monitor shuts off and laptop monitor resumes as display.

Desktop + Flatron = "Entering Power Saving mode" message

Laptop + Flatron = Message regarding "MHz range" not being within required specs, then shuts down and laptop monitor resumes as display.

The problem first arose after I installed a firmware upgrade for a new wireless router however, I have tried running the system without the router in the mix, completely unplugged, etc. I can't see how firmware would affect the monitor and even if it did, I can't see how it would affect both the desktop and laptop. (Firmware was installed via the desktop).

I am completely at a loss as to what could be causing both monitors to shut down with both computers.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Reset the computer and keep pressing F8. There is an option on this menu called "Enable VGA Mode" so select that and press Enter, and Enter again.

What this does is force Windows to load with a screen resolution of 640x480, which pretty much all monitors made in the last 15yrs or so can support. It sounds like your system has been set to a desktop resolution that the monitors cannot cope with.

You can reset the resolution by going to the Display option in the Control Panel and clicking on Settings.

Hyalucent

Hyalucent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you, Neil.

I tried to reset the display on the laptop, down to the minimum, but I still get the same error when I try to start it with the LCD. The error message is that it's not within the range of "23.7KHz to 17Hz" (not "MHz" as I wrote above.)

I'm hesistant to try it with the desktop as I don't get anything at all when I start it up. No windows screen, no text with unit specs, nothing. The monitor remains off so the screen is completely black from the get go. I basically have to shut it down by holding the power butto in each time. If I manage to get into the BIOS (without a display) will it damage the computer if I shut it down with the power button from within BIOS?

The Laptop loads on an external monitor up until the Windows screen, then I get the error message and it reverts to the built in monitor (which works fine).

Absolutely nothing happens on screen with the desktop. The monitor just shows the blue box "shut down" message and shuts down.

Edited by Hyalucent, 23 July 2006 - 09:51 AM.

Hyalucent

Hyalucent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay... tried getting into the BIOS on the desktop but same thing. As soon as I turn on the power on my desktop, the monitor (Flatron) goes into power saving mode and the light turns from green to yellow on the monitor. Nothing shows up on screen and the light remains yellow to indicate that it's not coming out of power save mode.

I'm still really at a loss to figure this out.