Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multi monitors on notebook

• Please log in to reply

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

Ok so I have this flat screen TV I want to connect to my notebook so I can watch movies on it instead of my small laptop screen. Thing is I can't get it to work.. I have a ATI mobility X700 on my laptop. I have bought a DVI cable which connects the TV and the comp. That's about it: my TV screen just stays blank on the DVI channel. I've been fideling around with the options to no avail. I think I bought the wrong cable maybe I should have bought an S-Video one? Because my PC has both a S-video and DVI connection. If it turns out I have to use S-video to connect to my TV what is the DVI connection used for? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

K

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
What kind of port does the TV have? Most have S-Video I think... Have you tried right-clicking somewhere on the desktop, and selecting output to -> ____ ?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
DVI is a direct digital input. It elimitnates the need to convert digital to anology which is what older and some new display use. DVI give you a direct digital image for better picture quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Have you tried what Stormknight suggested?

Right click on empty space in desktop.
Click Settings
Click Advanced
Click Display device and choose TV.

At least that's how it works on my laptop. You may have slightly different software settings. You may also need to change the resolution settiing.

kebabboy

kebabboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi again,

Thanks for the replies. I had tried right clicking on the desktop and setting the TV as monitor but it hadn't worked properly.. So I went and bought a S-video cable, which when I tried what you have suggested worked. But the only problem was that the resolution I got was soo bad that I couldn't read anything on the TV, watching movies was fine but reading anything was out of the question.. I've tried adjusting the resolution but it only made things worse.

The TV's instruction manual says that I need a VGA to DVI cable to use it as a Pc monitor. DO you think it will really help?