Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

file corrupted, recove console do not work, cannot install XP

• Please log in to reply

mstevani

mstevani

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

Yesterday I received the following error message when starting up my Windows XP PC:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Then Idecided to booted from my XP CD in order to repair my installation using the Recovery Console. In the "Welcome to Setup" window I pressed "R" and the Recovery Console asked "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto (To cancel, press ENTER)?

I hit 1 (the only installation I have) and pressed ENTER, but nothing else happenned, the computer just gone frozen.

Then I decided to re-install XP. I booted again from the CD but the computer hangs when displaying "Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows".

I really don't know what to do because I am even not able to re-install windows anymore.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
:whistling:

Advertisements

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Try and get into the Recovery Consoel again and if you can then type "fixbot" might just work, or maybe "chkdsk" if not. also you could use a Knoppix live cd to fix it. Try serching for help on how to do it in knoppix.