Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

svchost.exe errors

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
An ATI video adapter requires it

As it can be re-installed, you could look at uninstalling .net framework including the hotfix and the service pack

Reboot

Run tune up

Any programme which needs .net framework should show a message about needing it

If you don't have any, the PC should run without the svchost error

Advertisements

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Not sure if I have an ATI video adapter but I do have ATI Software Uninstall Utility, ATI Control Panel, & ATI Display Driver so I guess I must have :whistling: When u say uninstall .net framework, the hot fix and the Service Pack, which Service Pack? I can only find Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2):MAINSP2op

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You have an ATI video adapter, so it needs to stay

Off looking for the solution

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank u Keith - no rush as I may not get back on tonight

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SueInSpain...

This wouldn't by chance be a Dell computer, would it?

wannabe1

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello Wannabe1, no, it's an HP Pavilion. I just wish I could pin point exactly when the errors started to pop up but I can't. All the Windows applications became slow to open as well. As u will see, Keith has tried many things but unfortunately the errors remain :whistling: Thank u for taking a look at the problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this XP Home or Pro? Do you have a scanner of camera connected to the machine?

Download, install, and run HiJackThis...save a log and attach it here for me. This will let me see what is trying to run on startup and may help us pinpoint the problem.

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
It's XP Home, Wannabe1. I'll do what u suggest - hope it's straight forward and I don't mess up :whistling:

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I forgot to mention that there is no scanner or camera connected. Anyway here's the Log. Why doesn't it show that my browser is Mozilla Firefox - I very rarely use IE6. I've clicked on "Add This Attachment" but there's nothing to say it's attached?!

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry wannabe1 - just seen the reason why it didn't work. :whistling: What file extension must I give it as it saved as a .txt file

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just copy/paste it to your next reply...I'll attach it for you.

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank u - u guys must have endless patience

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 04 August 2006 - 01:55 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's look at the alerter service real quick.

Click Start, then Run, type services.msc and click "Ok". Locate and double click on "Alerter". In the resulting window, what is listed in the "Startup Type:" drop down field?

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
It's Disabled. I changed that on the 27th July from Auto after reading quite an indepth piece on optimizing XP Services. Thought it may improve the opening of my Windows Applications. The errors remained.

SueInSpain

SueInSpain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Due to our time difference I have to hit the sack now but I'll check in tomorrow to see if u've come up with anything. I do realise that there are people with much bigger problems than mine so as and when wannabe1. Nite.