Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick question about RAM

• Please log in to reply

AngelInHeaven

AngelInHeaven

• Pip
  • 3 posts
If I were to upgrade to 4GB of RAM, would Windows see it all and be able to use the full 4GB of RAM? I have looked at my motherboards manual, it says it can support 4GB of RAM. So if I were to upgrade to 4GB of RAM, would I be likely encounter any problems?

Advertisements

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Should be fine as long as your are using service pack 2, XP can cope with up to 4GB.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
One to check is this:
You said your motherboard manual can support 4GB of ram. I assume that this the max it can support, right?
What I have found frequently, is often when you either fill all the ram slots and/or install the maximum amount of ram supported, the bios will lower the ram FSB speed. For example, if you install 4GB of DDR400, the bios might lower the FSB speed to 333MHz.

This is not to say that you will experience this problem, but it would be worth checking out on the motherboard manufacturers website. You may even find that there's a bios update available to overcome any such issues.

AngelInHeaven

AngelInHeaven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the replies both.

Yes, it's the maximum the motherboard can support. Thanks, I'll check up on that. I've heard that even if you put the maximum amount of RAM in, Windows won't 'see' it all. Is this true?

TIA

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I think there is an issue with anything over 3GB in XP but I'm not absolutely certain as I've read conflicting reports on this subject.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
windows XP only allows the use of 3.25 G's for the RAM and the other .75 for systems swap space

i think this is correct i could be wrong but
XP can only handle up to 3.25 gigs

and what would you need 4 gigs for thats a bit of overkill for now anyway

troppo