Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot function computer at all...

• Please log in to reply

smandge

smandge

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've completely messed up my computer. I was trying to fix my CD/DVD drive and went into system registry. I must have changed something that disables the mouse and keyboard as they are not functioning.

Whenever i start up windows i cannot control the mouse or keyboard making the computer useless. I can use the keyboard at the beginning and go into options and boot menu.

Heres the things ive tried and failed at:

Safe mode (then try and use system restore)- failed

Last known good configuration - failed

Reinstalling windows failed as it asks me to reboot pc by pressing f1 but i cant, it just repeats itself.

Resetting CMOS - dint achieve anything

Shouting at it - failed

If you have any other ideas please please help!

Thankyou,

Smandge

Advertisements

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
When you say reinstalling do you mean from windows or from before windows loads? IE booting from cd and doing a clean/repair install.

smandge

smandge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
before windows loads, otherwise i cant do anything at all...

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You may have to use the Repair Console and do a Repair Install.

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I dont understand why it wont reinstall, you say you cant press F4 during the install?

smandge

smandge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I cant seem to boot from the windowsXP cd at all... it prompts me to do it "Press F1 to reboot" but it just repeats itself >,<

smandge

smandge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yea just changed the boot order in System BIOS and it still wont work because when i change settings and save it will ask me to reboot which i cant do...

It just keeps coming up with "Press F1 to reboot"

I'm getting a new hard drive soon, if i removed this messed up hard drive and put in the new one, install windows on that and started fresh it would work fine wouldnt it?

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Ok well if you know how make sure your BIOS setting are set to boot from CD first before your Hard Drive Or Floppy Drive. Then what should come up right after the Bios screen should read 'Press key to boot from cd' or somthing simaler.

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Sorry i double posted.

Edited by Haz, 23 July 2006 - 10:56 AM.

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I should think so, alhtough the is the option that it is your Mother board, Eck!

smandge

smandge

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, slowly getting there, im doing a clean install atm, i managed to get it working but putting it in the dvd drive :/

Anwyay its copied all the new stuff and its now asking me to put the installation CD in i put it in and it asks for the path where the "asms" are kept on the Cd...

Thanks