Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Compromised

• Please log in to reply

Tom Nguyen

Tom Nguyen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I am in desperate need of help. Last week, I was browsing the internet with Mozilla when a bunch of the same windows popped up. Well, I tried to close one of the windows and I wasn't able to. I went into the taskbar to right click and close all the windows, but my right click button was disabled! I tried to shut the computer down, but the Start button was disabled. When I did click on the Start button, I was taken to a screen where I could log off, but I could not shut down my computer. I clicked the arrow on the bottom right of the taskbar which is used to show you the programs running in the background and it started expanding and contracting over and over again. My computer was going crazy! I am using Windows XP by the way. I unplugged my computer because I did not want all of my website design files deleted. I turned the computer back on and Windows started again. I clicked on the arrow on the tasbar on the bottom right and it happened all over again! More windows started opening up automatically. Again, I unplugged the cord. I went to buy myself a new hard drive and an external enclosure. I installed the new hard drive with Windows XP and scanned the old one with McAfee Virus Scan and no viruses were found, so I transferred all of my php, html, jpgs, and psd files over to the new hard drive. I didn't transfer any exe files. Everything was fine up until now when the same things started again. It stops after a few minutes, but it still happened. This time when it happened, I unplugged my ethernet cable to see if someone was hacking into my computer. I have the Windows Firewall up. Can someone help me with this problem please?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum