Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3

• Please log in to reply

tom_george

tom_george

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi
I have a program installed called: J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3 and I have no idea how it came to be installed in the first place. It seems technical so I am reluctant to delete before I know it won't affect any other programs that I may run, such as iTunes, games etc.
Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Keeping it is optional, the current version is 1.5.0.7, you should either remove it or update it, you should use add / remove to uninstall the version you have first

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
so if i delete it it won't do any harm to any programs that i have on my computer right?

secondly, i have a MPEG Layer 3 Audio file in iTunes library that i cannot delete. even when i right click on the file, the usual list like delete, properties does not come up. i also tried dragging to the recycle bin but it doesnt move. how can i delete this file?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you remove java runtime you could go to some sites and notice it won't run some things, then you decide if you need to run them, if so you would need to re-install it

Removing it won't harm the PC

Are you able to left click the audio file then use the move option

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i have tried everything i know to move it. left clicking to play the file in itunes gives me nothing, and using right click i select "open with..." and then "use web service to find appropriate program" which takes me to this site: http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409/xm...392;ĀV
the usual right click options such as delete and rename have all disappeared.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it in a folder with other files, can you move those to another folder, delete the folder which only has the audio file, rename the folder with the rest of the files

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
already deleted other files but this one. when i try to delete the folder that the file is in i get the following message:

Error deleting file or folder.
Cannot delete DJDYF-~1.MP3
Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

How can this be since the file i wish to delete is contained within the folder i am trying to delete?!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use Move On Boot, you drag the folder in to it then choose to delete on next boot, reboot, what can happen is the folder is still there but you can delete it then

http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok this is becoming quite annoying now. it still won't delete. when i select the file to be deleted it says:
Dj DyF...carl cox.mp3
File not found
Please verify the correct file name was given

it seems as if the audio file doesnt exist but the computer wants it to be there for some reason!
can you think of anything else to do?
thanks for all this!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Unlocker from my signature, install wi the context and unlocker assistant options, reboot

Right click the file, click unlocker, choose delete

tom_george

tom_george

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
its finally gone! thanks so much for your help it was much appreciated!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know