Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus?

• Please log in to reply

karbonk

karbonk

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, I hope this is the right forum. I have a Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD laptop computer. When I type either an "a" or a"i" & a "k" or a "z" in Dos or windows the result is either "ia" or "kz" - its like the two keys are tied together. I have wiped out the disc with a couple of programs (zerofill) to NO avail. I have also updated the BIOS which never helped?? I am unsure of what to do next as this is making me bald! I have tried to overwrite the firmware with Toshiba's Change Firm utility but the dos program is called "chgfirma.exe" and I cannot type an "a" without getting the "i" in front. - backspace or arrow back will not help as it removes the letters.......- also when I type enter a "\" appears at the "A:\>" like this A:\>\
HELP! Please.
Karbonk......old and grey now :whistling: :blink:

Advertisements

karbonk

karbonk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello, I hope this is the right forum. I have a Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD laptop computer. When I type either an "a" or a"i" & a "k" or a "z" in Dos or windows the result is either "ia" or "kz" - its like the two keys are tied together. I have wiped out the disc with a couple of programs (zerofill) to NO avail. I have also updated the BIOS which never helped?? I am unsure of what to do next as this is making me bald! I have tried to overwrite the firmware with Toshiba's Change Firm utility but the dos program is called "chgfirma.exe" and I cannot type an "a" without getting the "i" in front. - backspace or arrow back will not help as it removes the letters.......- also when I type enter a "\" appears at the "A:\>" like this A:\>\
HELP! Please.
Karbonk......old and grey now :whistling: :blink:

I should also mention that I changed the name of the chgfirma.exe program to chgfirm.exe but keep getting this error while trying to update the firmware....."Bad Command or File name struct error" or "firm name struct error"

Edited by karbonk, 23 July 2006 - 10:02 AM.

karbonk

karbonk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I beileve the error is because I renamed the .bin file from "EC05F12A.BIN" TO EC05F12.BIN" TO GET RID OF THE "A" Any idea's of what to do? Anybody

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried an external keyboard? You may have a setting in the BIOS that will disable the primary keyboard when it detects the external keyboard. If you have a keyboard that has capabilty of both USB and PS\2, try both to see if may be your PS\2 port if defective.

karbonk

karbonk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Have you tried an external keyboard? You may have a setting in the BIOS that will disable the primary keyboard when it detects the external keyboard. If you have a keyboard that has capabilty of both USB and PS\2, try both to see if may be your PS\2 port if defective.

OK, so I plug in a PS2 keyboard and it works fine????? I will try to update the firmware now. Will let you know

karbonk

karbonk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was able to update the firware to latest. Thx I still have the same problem with the laptops keyboard though? Works good with external?? any more sugesstions?

snevets

snevets

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It could be that the keyboard is mechanically defective (ie. a crumb or something small got in and is lying between two the circuit lines on the keyboard and making a connection where there shouldn't be). I know it's a laptop so taking the keyboard apart is scary/impossible. But if the external keyboard works then it sounds to me like the built in one is dirty. Try popping the defective keys off (if possible) and flip the computer upside down and give it a few small firm pats (like burping a baby). I have to do this to my external keyboards sometimes when a key has the same problem. I'd like to add I don't have any technical training so don't rely on this too heavily...good luck, man.