Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 64 bit OEM vs Promo

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I'm gathering items to build my own pc. My next purchase is an operating system. I decided on Windows XP Pro 64-bit. It comes in OEM and promotional versions. I see that the labels and prices are different but from reading the descriptions, I can't see a difference in the operating system. The OEM version is about $50.00 to $60.00 more than the promo version.

This is for my home pc. I mostly do uploading of videos from my friends, emailing, bid on auctions at eBay, download some new programs like CCleaner, and some surfing on the net. I occasionally compose documentation using MSWord.

What's the difference between the two versions that the OEM version is so much more expensive? Would it be more beneficial for me to buy the OEM version?

Thanks in advance . . . Denise

Advertisements