Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD+ATI merger

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Anyone else crying foul?! :whistling:
James

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Only makes sense.

AMD is number 2 to Intel.
ATI is number 2 to nVidia.

Combine them and make a couple "also rans" into a powerhouse. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The difference between ATI and Nvidia isnt as big as AMD intel gap although ATI isnt as big in the area of mobo manufacture than Nvidia is. Its a pretty good thing AMD and ATI have shared alot of R&D work in the past and ATI has alot of good connections with builders and software companies that AMD has always seemed to lack.

Some seem to be going on about the AMD-Nvidia partnership but there never was one, AMD isnt like intel they arent as picky with who makes mobo chipsets for them they pretty much let anyone do it and it just happened to be they made the best ones there wasnt any particular partnership with them as AMD is a really open company with who it works with.

Intel just cancelled there contract with ATI for chipsets.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
There have been rumors for a little while about this, but I was still surprised to see it actually happen. How can/will Intel respond to this?

Thanks, I was wondering that.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
From what I've been reading, this merger is really about the integration of the GPU onto the CPU die. Intel has been working on this internally for some time, but it's still 2-3 years away. AMD doesn't have the resources, or the time to develop it's own graphics R&D team, so they bought one.

As CPU's get a dozen or more cores on them in the future, it only makes sense to integrate the GPU(s). There are tradeoffs in having the GPU(s) on die, but it's sure to be MUCH cheaper than a stand-alone graphics card(s).

In the short term it will likely mean ATI is more competetive as they utilize the fabs, expertise and economies of scale of AMD. However, AMD is unlikely to want to crush nVidia, they'll both be around for a while.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your right about the putting the GPU on the CPU die by the looks of it this led from the ATI-AMD research partenership on just that thing they have been working on it together for a few years and seem to have seen things in each company that could benefit the other ATI is alot more technology driven and have great connections in the R&D world but often seem to forget they have to sell there stuff eventually which seems the biggest strength AMD will bring.

From what im reading they are going two main routes in ther R&D one to fully integrate GPU and CPU and the other to have a seperate GPU in its own socket and just using the PCI-E lanes to hold the memory which is a great idea if you ask me, would let you have a more powerful GPU(better cooling in a permanent socket) and would let you upgrade GPU independantly from memory so you could switch your 256Mb of DDR3 for example for a gig of ddr4 as easy as you swap out system memory now. It sounds pretty cool, i dont think the CPU-GPU integration will happen as fast i think the seperate GPU socket on the mainboard we are more likely to see as its easier to implement.

I dont see Nvidia going away mind you with the AMD resources ATI could probably take them as ATI was only really lacking resources and marketing power which they have now, i still think there will be nforce boards but hopefully the ATI boards should be alot better now that would give consumers better choice and lower prices.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I havn't seen any ATI boards, (only breif glances while surfing).
Do ATI make any Intel chipset's?
If so, would they continue to make them after this merger?

Edited by sarahw, 25 July 2006 - 10:42 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Yep, that's what it says.... :whistling:
(I read that yesterday, just didn't click to me today. ) :blink:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think it was mostly a deal to put the ATI integrated gfx solutions in most boards as its superior to the intel technology and i daresay they liscened some ATI technologies for there motherboards.