Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Stupid Question!

• Please log in to reply

DOH!

DOH!

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well, I usually come here with help needing to fix viruses and what not my kids get on the computer, but today is a different story. I need to upgrade my memory I think it is.. I have about 4 games, and 10+ movies, and then 50+ albums worth of music on my computer, and I need MORE SPACE! I don't know what it is I would upgrade to give me a bunch of new room, for a ton of other games, movies, and music :whistling: .

Sorry to waste your time with such an idiotic question that I should know, but if you need any system specs to help you figure out, I will try my best, unless there is a program that tells you what it is I have in my computer as of right now.

Thanks again guys.

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hello DOH
No question is stupid, and what you want to upgrade is the hard drive.
Mainly buying a new hard drive and putting that into your system. I would suggest a 300 gb hd they are all around 100 dollars, Western Digital and Seagate make pretty decent hard drives. Now their are a few more things you should know. Depending on the age of your Motherboard, you can either buy SATA hd or IDE hd. The difference is transfer speed the SATA drives have 150mb/s whereas the IDE has 133mb/s and also the IDE hd's have huge ribbon connectors whereas the SATA has a slimmer 4 pin connector.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hmm, well 300gb sounds like enough, I think I only have an 80gb hd as it stands right now. Is an external HD worth the money? My co-worker has a 500gb external HD on his laptop, I could only imagine what he has on that...

The motherboard is an Asus K8V Deluxe, I can't remember but last time I posted a question that I needed help with, someone posted a link to a program that scans everything on your computer and saves a log of it. I will try to find it cause I have no idea about that sata/ide stuff..

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Okay I found it, it doesn't have any usefull information on it that I could use/understand. I don't know if you what what kind of HD cables/stuff this motherboard uses, but all input is greatly appreciated.

-----------------

> Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8V
> Chipset : VIA K8T800 (VT8383)
> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2000 MHz
> Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
> Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce FX 5600 [NV31.2]
> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (80 GB)
> CD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252B
> DVD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-816B
> Network Card : 3COM Corp, Networking Division 3C940 Gigabit Ethernet PCI CODEC
> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professionnal 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
> DirectX : Version 9.0c (March 2006)

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Yes, that motherboard supports Seirial ATA (sata). You have 2 L shaped plugs at the lower front of the motherboard. Just under the battery.
External hard drives cost alot. Do you need to move the hard drive from location to location? If not, I wouldn't bother. The 300 to 320 Gig hard drives seem to be the best value at the moment.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well since I kinda have a clue what I am looking for will either of these two hard drives work?

Western Digital--
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144392

Seagate--
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148140

It would be awesome to take the hard drive around but I mean is it hard to do? I.E. install it on every computer that it is connected too? Is there anyway to have two hard drives in a computer? Cause if I could do that and have two 300-320gb HD's that would be absolutely, AMAZING..

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yes its possable to have more than 1 hard drive in a computer

but dont bother wiht a external hard drive they are expensive and trasfer so slowly. they can only transfer at USB speeds and depending on your motherboard that might only be 1.1

go out and buy an internal SATA 150 hard drive wiht at least an 8 mb cache if you can afford it that will also give you a massive performance boost which we would all love :whistling:

troppo

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Both of those Hard Drive will work on your computer and are good brands.
Going by those prices, go for the Seagate Barracuda. It has 16MB of cache to the WD's 8.

If you really want to transfer Data between computer's, use a flash drive. They are alot smaller and lighter. Fit's right on a keyring.

Going by your system specs you should have room for two 300 Gig hard drives as well as the one you currently have!!!

Edited by sarahw, 24 July 2006 - 02:16 AM.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well that's good news! Thanks sarahw, and tropo. I guess I will be putting in an order for two Seagates here in the next few hours. I will have a professional install it at the LAN center right down the road, but will there be anyway he can save my information from this dinky 80gb HD, and put it on the new one(s)?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Yep, keep the 80gig in the computer, and boot from the new 300gig. Simply copy the information to the new drives, then remove the old drive (or keep it in there). If you have a professional install it, he will easily be able to do that.