Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bootskin startup problems

• Please log in to reply

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
i recently got a new system. i installed the program called bootskin. it changes your normal startup XP screen into a screen of your choice. after i got all favorable skins downloaded, i set the program to choose random skin at startup. but when i restarted, the computer would start looping. it would reach the point where the skin is supposed to load, and it would show a blue screen for a second. then it would restart, saying windows did not start properly, and give me a list of choices. i must choose last known good configuration for the computer to load, but the bootskin program wont work anymore. i had this program installed on my last system, and it worked. any ideas?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
it could be any number if things like to many skins. try uninstalling the program and see if you can boot into normal mode. Also you can right click on my computer and select properties. click on advanced tab and then settings under "startup and recovery". Make sure "automatically restart" is deselected under "system failure section".

by changing that, if you are getting a blue screen, it should allow you to see it. If you are getting a blue screen then we need the stop code information plus the info in the first 2 lines or so.

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
i already tried re-installing, it didnt work. but i will try it with the auto restart off. and try to get the error message.

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
This is part of what the screen says. i only copied the parts that looked important. if any more is needed, please let me know

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent......
caused by the following file: vidstub.sys
attempt was made to write to read-only memory
technical info:
*** STOP: 0x000000BE (0x804D80000, 0x004D8121, 0xF78A24FC, Dx0000000B)
*** vidstub.sys - address F735F189 base at F735E000, DateStamp 408d4b3d

i will also attach a hijackthis log in case you need it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.rtf   6.73KB   196 downloads

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I found this

http://www.stardock....in/download.asp

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
nope...no luck

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
deleting the vidstub didn't help or you couldn't find it? Details on the results needed.

thanks,
Starjax

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
nope...i searched for the file (normal computer search) ...found it. deleted it. downloaded first one, didnt work. then second icon. still didnt work. same blue screen. Need new details on the blue screen? it went back to normal (automatic restart after failure)....

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
nope...i searched for the file (normal computer search) ...found it. deleted it. downloaded first one, didnt work. then second icon. still didnt work. same blue screen. Need new details on the blue screen? it went back to normal (automatic restart after failure)....

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
go to start/run type in regedit.

go to hk_locamachine/software. look for stardock. if found right click and export. just choose a location to save it to. then delete startdock from the registry Don't delete anything else.

restart your pc. If it still bluescreens I want a HiJackThis log posted.

hawaiianlei

hawaiianlei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
do you want a post or saved as an attachment?
it still doesnt work....i exported the registry thing, its still on my desktop. i right clicked and deleted the stardock from the registry, not from the desktop. i hope thats what you wanted.
im asking whether you want a post or attachment because another staff told me never to post hijackthis logs in non-malware forums, only use attachments.

Edited by hawaiianlei, 08 August 2006 - 09:02 PM.