Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer randomly crashes -- hardware problem?

• Please log in to reply

ShurikenAura

ShurikenAura

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My computer hasn't been able to shut down properly (shows blue screen but no "Saving Settings..." etc wording) except for a few times, and now it won't start up properly either. I have a laptop, and sometimes when I start it up, it can freeze anytime from the first loading screen up to after I log in and have been using it for a few minutes. When it freezes, the only solution is force reboot. There is no easy way to back-up my computer now and format the hard drive since I have no idea when it's going to freeze, or even if it does start up at all. Sometimes when it freezes and I try to reboot, the screen stays black and the caps lock light blinks 10 times then it power offs again. I have been told that it's a problem with my hard drive and that I need to reformat it. Any tips on what I can do -- try starting in safe mode? It's crashed when starting up there too and it's harder since I have no idea of determining if it's still starting up in Safe Mode or if it has crashed -- to safely back up what I need and reformat it?

Advertisements