Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files with '.exe' not working

• Please log in to reply

moogle

moogle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Somehow I managed to screw up the computer once again...

I don't what I did but every program that ends with .exe runs with my Adobe Acrobat. For example, when I try to open up Windows Media Player, Acrobat opens up with this message:

"Acrobat could not open 'wmplayer.exe' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't completely decoded).

To create an Adobe PDF document, go to the source application. Then print the document to Adobe PDF."

Why in the world does my computer do this? I was trying to find a solution and discovered that this would help open an application: right-click application > "Run As..." > select the "Current user" option (with the bottom option about protection from unauthorized program activity unchecked; checking it restricts certain features of the Internet). By the way, I only have one account on this.

No program works automatically. Was this some thing I accidently did or the work of a virus? (Because I have no virus protection.) How do I change my computer back to its normal state?

Advertisements

moogle

moogle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Oh, and I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong forum. I didn't know whether to post it up here or the "Windows XP, 2000, 2003, NT" Operating Systems one.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open media player, click tools, options, file types, click select all, click apply, close media player, open a media file

moogle

moogle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I meant all programs with .exe, not media files.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Uninstall adobe reader

Look at the file associations, set them correctly

Install adobe reader