Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! I'm being bombarded with entries in guestbook!

• Please log in to reply

kiwimiss

kiwimiss

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: I added a guestbook and now am receiving many entries. My mouse and I are spending alot of time in admin area deleting these entries, pleaseeeeeeeeeee, anybody...someone, help us!!
I enabled password and all below.

For security reasons, you may wish to display the IP or Hostname of the person signing your guestbook. The default is ON.

Enabled - If you want to password-protect the comment feature, set this option to 'Password required'.

Reduced - Message Length
You can set the minimum and maximum message length here. The max. word length is an option to avoid messages from nice people entering a bunch of characters without spaces

Increased Time - FloodCheck Time Span
Set the amount of time in seconds used by FloodCheck to prevent post flooding. Recommended: 60. Type the number of seconds only.

Tried to enter IP in the - IP Number Ban List:
Put each IP number on its own line. I'm doing something wrong here. Seems when I enter the numbers and click submit changes, ip numbers are gone from the ban list.

We, mouse and I look forward to eliminating this invasion on the guestbook.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
If it is a well known guestbook script it probably has been exploited and someone has a script to either circumvent the settings or to act like a normal user.

Or even more simply, someone may just have a lot of time on their hands and feels like harrassing you...

Does the script have a function that requires you to enter a validation code when you register as a user? If not, find one that does... that will help with robots able to setup accounts without a response.