Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Not sure if my probem is hardware or software

• Please log in to reply

maz22

maz22

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello!

*Edit* A windows/driver reinstall solved solved a lot of the problems I was experiencing.

I have a problem that I have not been able to solve. I'm running a refurbished HP Compaq laptop with Win XP SP1 and 768 mb of ram. When I use my mouse or touch pad, the cursor hangs when I move it across the screen, as if there is not enough memory. Is there some tweak or optimization that would solve this hanging of the mouse problem?

___________________________________________________________________________________
Cliffnotes/recap for those who can't be bothered with long posts:

Problem - unit shuts down at random (not a windows shutdown or "crash")

Problem - cursor hang and drags as if not enough memory

Problem - key strokes don't always register even though keyboard was replaced
web pages/ windows "roll" when scrolling or tabbing, as if not enough memory to scroll smoothly. This problem is very hard to describe, but very frustrating because it seems like just a preference I need to set or an optimization tweak I can perform.

Edited by maz22, 26 July 2006 - 07:29 PM.

Advertisements

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
It sounds like there are a few problems with the hardware. Have you tried to update all the windows software? The problem where it asks which operating system is with the system bios. Open the run command dialog box and type "msconfig" at the boot.ini tab you will notice there are more than one operating systems. Changing this will remove that message.

Mine with SP 2 shows the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

editing it will allow you to just boot to one OS without the prompt. But you have to make sure you get the disk number and partition right if you do so

good luck.

maz22

maz22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Obviously I'm a novice when it comes to OS but I can probably muddle through that, but I guess I would need SP2. Could you provide a URL for SP2, or perhaps could you copy and paste the actual name of the download? There are so many versions and updates on Microsoft's site that I don't know which one to install.

So I edit the bios with this?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Does anyone happen to know the solutions to problem 6 and 7?