Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Combine RAID 0 Partitions?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
After digging a bit though search, I couldn't find anything helpful for my current situation.

I have 3 hard drives.
one 120GB and two 200GB. the latter is what I will be discussing.
I currently have the two 200GB drives set up in a software RAID 0 configuration (through windows).
On that I have two partitions, one 350GB and one 50GB. Now there had been a good method to my madness at the time for such a setup, however for convenience I'd like to make one simple change. I'd like to combine those two partitions so I have a single 400GB partition.

So, I ask you intelligent folks:
Can I combine those two partitions into a single one?
How would I do this? (preferably something in windows or freeware)
Will I lose data? (if yes, probability, etc.)

This is by no means mission critical; I can still work with it the way it is if need be. It'd just serve to simplify things and I was hoping for a relatively simple solution. Thanks in advance!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The partitions are a software thing so in theory it should be possible to use something like Partition Magic (or similiar) to trash the 50Gb partition (losing all the data in that partition of course) and resize the 350Gb one to use the whole disk.

In reality, it depends if Partition Magic is able to work with a RAID configuration, as Windows itself is particularly fussy when it comes to setting that up, so its a case of suck it and see.