Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows/Microsoft Update ?'s...

• Please log in to reply

Woodywk1

Woodywk1

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
A respected friend who is in the Computer business has advised me to turn off Automatic Updates, in fact he has suggested that I not download any updates from Microsoft and that they are not necessary.

Yet everything I read here says to keep the security updates Up to Date.

He has repeatedly had issues with his computer shortly after using the Windows Update feature, does does not use it any longer. On more than one occaision he had to reformat after such updates in order to correct the problems he was encountering.

I have just reinstalled Windows XP SP1 after refoprmating my system. Most of the recommendations on this site about fighting MaleWare etc, suggests that downloading XP SP2 will help defend your system against such intrusions, I want to be protected. Have you heard of users having computer troubles after downloading the undates from MSC's website? If so what precautions can one take when downloading the updates?

Can I go straight from XP SP1 to SP2? or do I have to dowload all of the updates in between?

Thanks for you help on this issue.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Woodywk1!

I would DEFINITELY recommend that you download and install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP and any other security updates that are necessary (aka Critical Updates on Windows Update website) after SP2 is installed. There are some computers that do have a problem with one security update in particular, but that only happens on a few computers and the problem that occurs is that explorer.exe will freeze when right-clicking on the desktop and also hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL will do nothing. If that does happen to you, then all that is needed is the uninstallation of update KB908531.

To answer your question about whether or not you can go straight to SP1 to SP2, the answer is YES. You can go and download SP2 and install it and then go back to Windows Update as many times as are needed to get all the critical updates.

I would also recommend that you get antivirus and antispyware software installed as well if you haven't already. The two that I recommend are AVG Antivirus (http://free.grisoft.com) and Windows Defender (http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en)

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 24 July 2006 - 01:22 PM.

headwayne

headwayne

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I am not an expert but I have found that installing one update at a time is less aggravating than doing several and finding one of them is causing a problem and having to guess which one it is to be able to uninstall it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

A respected friend who is in the Computer business has advised me to turn off Automatic Updates, in fact he has suggested that I not download any updates from Microsoft and that they are not necessary.

Please be advised that for what I am about to say, I am not accusing your friend of doing anything of the sort.

I have seen people who make recommendations to turn off Automatic Updates, because it often turns out that they are distributing cracked copies of Windows XP. In order to get any security updates whatsoever now from Microsoft, you have to download and install their "Windows Genuine Advantage" program which immediately flags up the fact that it's not a genuine copy.

Woodywk1

Woodywk1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Neil,

I appreciate your point and understand your disclamer, luckily that is not the cause for my friend's concern. On all of the PC's that I have had him work on the PC came with an official copy of Windows as far back as 3.1, 95, 98, and most recently a couple with XP. I didn't ask him to elaborate onto why he makes that recommendation other than what he shared with me, he works on both of my Dell PCs and still makes the same recommendation. Maybe it is just his luck, or that if too many updates are downloaded at the same time there seems to be some conflict and it is difficult to track the conflict to a specific update when done in large batches. In any case I will proceed with manual updates download a few at a time as suggested.

I am glad you shared that info just the same as I am sure it may benefit someone watching this thread.