Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Asus A8N SLI Premium died

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I built a new computer last December (4th that I have done) and all was well until yesterday. The computer shutdown and now won't start. I checked the power cord and am getting power to the power supply. The green light on the motherboard is lit, but there is no other activity when pushing the power switch -- no fans, no hard drives, no nothing.

The system is an Asus A8N SLI Premium, AMD X2 4200+, Corsair TwinX2048C2PT, eVGA 256 n517 7800GT, Antec TX1050B case w/SP 500 power supply. I can't tell if it is the power supply or the motherboard with the "smart" power supplies these days.

I did install Vista Beta 2 over the weekend but I doubt it is related (other than it works the system harder than XP). :whistling:

Any ideas?

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Did anything unusual happen between the time you shut it off and now? Or, did you add any new hardware?

Try to disconnect everything that is not essential: USB devices, extra PCI cards, CD/DVD drive(s), etc. Also, disconnect and reconnect the main ATX power cord and ensure that the front motherboard connectors (connect to the case) are in the correct location. Does it power up? If it does, your power supply may be going bad, or may not provide enough power, although this is unlikely with a 500 watt Antec.

If it doesn't power up, the power supply unit (PSU) may be bad. Do you have another one to try out? The motherboard could also be bad, so if you have an extra you could try it, but my guess is the PSU.

It could also possibly be the RAM (memory), so try taking out one stick at a time and see if it will turn on.

If you are using a UPS or surge protector, try plugging it straight into the wall outlet.