Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multi boot?

• Please log in to reply

akyra

akyra

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

I have the dos on fine and can get the xp on fine, but the win 95 doesnt seem to like working on the system.

a 2.4gb athalon
80gb hdd
k7 triton board
fx5200 graphics card
onboard lan and sound

upon initial setup it came up with

windows protection error

i did a google search on this and found a microsoft webpage, giving various options for the step by step boot option, by following these you therefore diagnose etc

http://support.micro...b/136337/EN-US/

did as it said and now it says

your multi-function device (standard dual PCI IDE Controller) has some child devices using 32-bit drivers and others using compatibility mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so your computer has been halted to prevent corruption.

After you restart your computer, windows will use compatibility mode drivers for each child device attached to this multi function device. if you want to use 32 bit drivers you may be able to obtain an updated driver for the device that caused the problem by contactiong your hardware manufacturer, or you can disable the device.

press any key to continue (if you do press a key, it just goes to a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left - and nothing works)

however, it has this screen every time you try to do a normal boot up.

can anyone let me know how to config this op sys so it will work on this machine please,

thanks in anticipation

chey

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In a nutshell, your computer is far too fast to be able to run Windows 95.
DOS doesn't have this problem because most of the time it sits around doing nothing waiting for you to type something in.

Nothing you can do about it unfortunately, as support for Windows 95 was dropped in 2000.

*Chey

*Chey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi

thanks for that

would you possibly know if 98 will run on it

it my husbands pc and he would like to be able to run some games that are not compatible with xp

Edited by *Chey, 24 July 2006 - 03:47 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you load the systems in the correct order
1) dos
2)95
3)xp
they have to be loaded in that order.
Have you tried the games in compatability mode?

*Chey

*Chey

• Pip
  • 4 posts
loaded dos on no problems

started installing 95 and on its first boot up before it had even finished installing really it came up with the errors

yes he has tried the compatibility options for all the games he wants to be able to use

we were gonna try 98 instead of the 95 but at some point the disk must have got damaged cos it cant read the setup file from it, too many scratches i think

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As long as it's not a 64-bit processor, Windows 98 will run, though it will also appear to do everything a tad too fast.

You might want to consider using Virtual PC instead, which you can load Windows 98 into and load the non-XP compatible games in there.

*Chey

*Chey

• Pip
  • 4 posts

As long as it's not a 64-bit processor, Windows 98 will run, though it will also appear to do everything a tad too fast.

You might want to consider using Virtual PC instead, which you can load Windows 98 into and load the non-XP compatible games in there.

virtual pc???

im off to google that as never heard of it before, but would you care to expand

thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
have you tried to load in the order I said?

*Chey

*Chey

• Pip
  • 4 posts

have you tried to load in the order I said?

yep

couldnt even finish loading 95 on there as soon as it wanted to reboot during the install the problems started

Edited by *Chey, 27 July 2006 - 08:22 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Theonly option left would be to slow down the BUS but this will slow the whole computer