Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Files--Deep trouble

• Please log in to reply

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Yes I clicked "Restore my computer to an earlier date" and I've tried it twice more today and that makes 5 unsuccesful times I've tried to restore to an earlier date.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would currently avoid uninstalling spybot as it may take those backkups with it (i know they aren't working right this second...but that may change)

do you have your xp cd? (or access to an xp cd?)

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

i would currently avoid uninstalling spybot as it may take those backkups with it (i know they aren't working right this second...but that may change)

do you have your xp cd? (or access to an xp cd?)

No *Sigh* I was actually getting ready to start a new thread about that. I was going to reformat the computer and start from clean slate but guess WHAT...NO CD's. :whistling: :blink:

I'm googling to see if there are any possible ways to reformat without CD's but I pretty much know the answer to that. I think I'm honestly screwed.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depending on the make and model of the comuter there may be a way to do a destructive recovery (return to factory settings...you'll lose everything) without disks...what make and model is the pc?

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Um...Sorry I don't know, I'm not that computer smart but I can figure out if you tell me how. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > programs > accessories > system tools > system info > two lines (should be 5th and 6th from the top ) "system manufacturer" and "system model"

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well im currently out of options

a moderator is there to help you now

good luck to you and happy websurfing

but you should start creating restoration points once your problem is resolved

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
System Model: DF214A-ABA S4100NX NA210
System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061

And thanks rushin1nd, I need all the luck I can get. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
according to hp support (i love using their chat deal..when it works)....your system should have a recovery partition...

if you're at a point where you're just ready to wipe everything and start over

during boot up continually press shift + f10.. this should bring up some recovery options (i don't know which options it will bring up..but)...if you see one to repair while leaving your file system intact...choose that one...as that will leave all your files but replace windows...if you don't see that...you'll have to do the "destructive recovery" option..

ILoveDaniel

ILoveDaniel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Alright great. Well I probably won't be able to do this today, I've got to compress and email all of my picture files and burn my music files and that will take probably a day or two :/.

Advertisements