Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error loading operating system

• Please log in to reply

wolfbane25

wolfbane25

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Im sure this may be a common thing. but this is agrivating the [bleep] out of me.

alright im at the library comp so i dont have much time.
Basically My comp was runnin fine till i turned it on and it said

"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

then my stepdad tried to fix it and tried to instal windows 98 and the error loading operating system has happened.

My comp is pretty old (5-7 years) and im sure quite outdated. but i was wondering if there was something i could do to fix it and not have to waste money tryin to get other ppl to fix it for me or waste money gettin a expensive software or somethin. There is somethin on there that i can get to, when i hit the F5 -F8 Keys at start up, it goes to somethin called "BIOS UTILITY SYSTEM" but it doesnt have a "recovery" thing anywhere on there as im told the newer ones do. so i was wondering if there is somethin that can be done. i have 2 minutes left so Im just gonna stop now. any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need an XP CD to fix it

wolfbane25

wolfbane25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah it took me afew days to look for my origional one, but since ive had it for about 5-7 years, and moved about 3 times, it got lost somewhere. I tried my friend's XP professional, my stepdad tried Win 98 and win ME and nothing responds. i mean, u put anything in the cd drive thingy and it doesnt respond. just says "error loading operating system" with a black screen, u push any key and it restarts the comp to say the exact same thing. its an old computer anyway. im seriously considering just payin someone to fix it (cost between $60-$120) just wondering any alternative, but tks anyway.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as you have a same version XP CD, possibly the product key, you need this set of floppy discs, which you load according to the instructions

http://support.micro...b;en-us;q307545

wolfbane25

wolfbane25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thats the problem, i have no disk, no possible way of obtaining any such disk, and no money to purchase a new disk.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have XP Home?

Otherwise you can use your friends XP Pro