Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Questions: Fonts and Active X ?

• Please log in to reply

R- I'M LOST

R- I'M LOST

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello, I have 2 questions:

1. Everything was o.k. and then i went to a website and all of a sudden the font's changed. Now i right clicked and clicked on encoding and then clicked on user defined and it went back to normal but only for that time, i.e. if i refresh the page or go to a different site the new font (big letters) comes back. I think i also reached the same conclusion by going up to the tools section above. What do i do to get the font's that i always had back--NOTE- i never to my knowledge purposly changed the fonts.

2. Active X. ; O.k.--- when i go to some websites an Active X pop up window appears and i usually X out or press o.k. and everything is allright but on some websites the Active X pop up window appears and it does not matter if i X out out press o.k. the page will shut down and tell me to send an error report. I cannot escape the shutdown--whatever i click goes ding ding ding the only thin i can click is the Active X pop up and then the page shuts down..??
Thank you....

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
More for the active X

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

R- I'M LOST

R- I'M LOST

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Wow! what happen? Thank you very much for replying. One thing, actually two. When i type the prefetch and press enter, click edit and select all--all the sqaures turn blue and i don't see anything that says any file--or do you mean just right click any one of the blue boxes? should i choose a specific box?
I have stop sign installed do you want me to shut that down during this proccess?
Let me understand, this is to take care of the active x problem and not the font problem or will this take care of both?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can right click any blue file, see how stop sign reacts, it may deal with both

Which version of IE do you have?

R- I'M LOST

R- I'M LOST

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't know which version of internet explorer i have--how do i find out?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click help, about internet explorer

R- I'M LOST

R- I'M LOST

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
o.k. it is i.e. version 6.0 cipher strength 128 bit update version sp2.

R- I'M LOST

R- I'M LOST

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
O.K.--ONE DOWN! The font problem is fixed, or at least it seems for now. A guy from the stop sign told me to go to view and click text size>medium and BAM! it went back to normal. That was easy. I thought the font change had something to do with a custom cleaner. Thanks.... One down one to go.....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools, internet options, advanced, click restore defaults, click apply, close IE, open IE to see how the active X is

R- I'M LOST

R- I'M LOST

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yes, it's still the same. I'll probably have to see what to do tommorrow. It's about 1:00 a.m. where i'm at right now. Lol. It may be something simple like the font thing... It mainly happens on websites that have videos not all just some. ?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Daylight here, run the rest of post 2 and see how it is

R- I'M LOST

R- I'M LOST

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
HELLO KEITH, Wow it's been a minute sorry about that---O.K.. for some reason it just stopped doing that. It seems to be working fine now. I don't know if this is the reason but i think i went somewhere and i don not remember where or how to get back to it--but i think it was that i changed some kind of default player to another type from quicktime to windows or something like that. I did not notice immediatley but after a day i just checked that website that was doing that active x shutdown thing and it worked--cause i was getting ready to do your instructions---i shall try to keep them in handy for next time. Thank you so much i really appreciated that. THANK YOU....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you install a media player, it usually sets itself as the default player, some have the options to define the file types it will become the default for, if it does not have this, just open your preferred player and reset the defaults

Thank You for letting me know

R- I'M LOST

R- I'M LOST

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
O.K. SO WHAT I GET FROM THIS IS THAT A "MEDIA PLAYER" WILL PLAY CERTAIN FILES AND WHEN IT CANNOT PLAY A PARTICUALR FILE THEN IT WILL CAUSE A FREEZE OR IT JUST WON'T PLAY. SO---WHEN I COME ACROSS THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR WITH A FILE & MEDIA PLAYER--I SHOULD CHANGE THE PLAYER TO ANOTHER ONE WHICH WILL AUTOMATICALLY BECOME MY DEFAULT PLAYER AND MAY BE ABLE TO PLAY THAT PARTICULAR TYPE OF FILE. IS THIS RIGHT???

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open media player, click tools, options, file types, then you have a list of file types it can play

Any with ticks are due to be played by it, unless the tick is in a grey box, in which case, another player has been set as the default

Once you have the defaults set, they should only change if you install another player, or if a player has restore file associations, meaning that each time the PC boots, the player will restore the files it thinks it should be the default for :whistling: Winamp does this

Have you got a list of file types you play, and a list of the installed media players