Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hide IP Address

• Please log in to reply

gubzey

gubzey

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:whistling: Can any point me in the right direction so that I might be able to hide my IP address and feel save when I'm on the Internet?

Thanks Gubzey

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you have a good anti-virus protector, Spyware protector, and a firewall, then you should be fine. Does your ISP give you a Static IP address?

gubzey

gubzey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If you have a good anti-virus protector, Spyware protector, and a firewall, then you should be fine. Does your ISP give you a Static IP address?

I have no idea, and don't know how to find out. What my concern is, after surfing the internet I sometimes receive email that I didn't subscribe to from websites that I don't want anything to do with. I didn't give them my email address so I thought that they must have tracked me by my IP Address. I trying to stop unwanted contact without opening the email and unsubscribing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no one can get your email address from your ip address (it's possible to go the other way..and get your ip from an email..but not likely)...you're just getting spam...not likely to be connected to your surfing habits

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I get loads of spam in my Yahoo inbox, and I surf wisely. Spam happens to everyone. Don't worry about it, as long as you don't open any suspicious e-mails.

gubzey

gubzey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I get loads of spam in my Yahoo inbox, and I surf wisely. Spam happens to everyone. Don't worry about it, as long as you don't open any suspicious e-mails.

I don't understand how they get your address. I use Avast Anti-Virus, which was recomended to me by a computer repair place. I was using Norton Anti-Virus and they said that they have had a lot of roblems with people using Norton. From my experiences I think Avast is doing alot better job. I also use Windows Firewall. Is there anything that I shoukd do to help out my protection.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you ever (even once) put your email address into a form online? like...ordering something, or filling out a survey, or something like that? if you have...the list that that company/website compiled...was probably sold to the spam companies....there's nothing you can do except get a good spamfilter

XeonFlare

XeonFlare

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

I don't understand how they get your address. I use Avast Anti-Virus, which was recomended to me by a computer repair place. I was using Norton Anti-Virus and they said that they have had a lot of roblems with people using Norton. From my experiences I think Avast is doing alot better job. I also use Windows Firewall. Is there anything that I shoukd do to help out my protection.

have you ever (even once) put your email address into a form online? like...ordering something, or filling out a survey, or something like that? if you have...the list that that company/website compiled...was probably sold to the spam companies....there's nothing you can do except get a good spamfilter

One thing that I tend to do, because the process of shopping online and joining sites often requires an email address, is keep my emails for work and other important things private and have another account for things like ordering and joining sites. It might sound like a pain to manage two emails, but I have found it to be a lot easier to keep my head straight; though I've still managed to get the occasional piece of spam (the best laid plans of mice and men).

P Nick

P Nick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It's always good to use a proxy while you surf the web. Simply because it provides more identity protection. But when you are choosing the proxy, you should always check anonymity with proxy test. This is because some proxies (mostly the free ones) will not hide your identity completely. This means that when you are using them, the server you are trying to reach (this case your mail provider) will be able to recognize that you are logging in with a proxy, and might even reject you or report you as a hacker trying to gain access to your email account. For this reason you want to make sure that you are using a high anonymity proxy that will hide your identity and will not be picked up by the proxy filters, which look for hackers using proxies.

This should be helpful.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

:whistling: Can any point me in the right direction so that I might be able to hide my IP address and feel save when I'm on the Internet?

Thanks Gubzey

Use Ultrasurf mate.

View the details here....

Ultrasurf