Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

FTP refusing connection

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Argh, tis doin my head in!!

I've got three ftp accounts, one personal, two for a forum I moderate on.

Not one of my accounts will connect via the client

I've used two different programs, Bulletproof and Smart...neither will connect any of my accounts.

My host can connect to my personal ftp account using my password username etc..

The person who set up my accounts for the forum I mod on can connect to both my accounts using password username etc..

I've allowed ports 20 & 21 on the firewall (windows xp firewall), allowed the clients and even turned off the firewall, still wont connect...

I have no antivirus running or installed, I have no viruses or spyware etc...

Any idea why I cant connect?

Any help or suggestions appreciated

Natalie xxxx

Also getting this message of smart ftp client

[02:06:05] SmartFTP v2.0.997.2
[02:06:05] Resolving host name "ftp.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com"
[02:06:05] Connecting to xxx.xx.xxx.xxx Port: 21
[02:06:06] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
[02:06:06] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
[02:06:06] Client closed the connection.
[02:06:06] Active Help: http://www.smartftp....kb/index.php/58

Edited by Jonesi, 24 July 2006 - 07:07 PM.

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,588 posts
check your ftp settings. make sure PASV is check. If it is checked then try unchecking it. When I had an ftp server running BP clients allways had issues connecting due to the PASV.

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Check the password and host name (ex. ftp.yoursite.com). If able, try connecting to the server IP address, rather than the hostname. That sometimes helps. Verify that your username is correct as well. For instance, your username might be... tien .... Well, just becuase it's tien, doesn't mean that you can only put tien in the box. You might need to insert tien@yoursite.com ... I know I have to do that if I add an extra account on my server...