Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows explorer and drwatson debugger error

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reboot / Restart

When you run sfc /scannow it starts windows file protection which checks the system files

You can run it without the CD, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel, then you know there are a number of system files missing

You can borrow a same version XP CD as you have installed, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an XP with SP1 CD

Advertisements

gpsugy

gpsugy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
hi. i am very sorry for not responding until now, but i was extremely busy throughout this whole week, and i never had the chance to complete your instructions. i am sorry, but i encountered a problem with the "sfc / scannow" step. i typed that into "run," and a black screen appeared for about a second and disappeared. after that, nothing happened. i retried this 2 more times, and the same thing happened. no blue bar or window popped up each of those times. i tried restarting my computer, but nothing changed. i do not know what is wrong. sorry for the inconvenience. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter

gpsugy

gpsugy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
nothing changed.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you in a position to borrow an XP CD (same version)

gpsugy

gpsugy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
no, although i am not quite sure what the XP CD is used for.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sfc /scannow checks for missing system files and takes any it needs from the XP CD

gpsugy

gpsugy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
i don't think i would get one, let alone being able to borrow one.