Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Touchpad

• Please log in to reply

seanp

seanp

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, the touchpad on the computer has broke. (if that's possible? :whistling: ) Is there any actual way to fix it? Or do i have to buy a new one? Thanks. :blink:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Do you mean it just stopped working? When did this happen? Have you made any changes to the system recently? What type of laptop is this? Have you tried using an external mouse?

seanp

seanp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, it just stopped working.
It happened yesterday, and it is a Toshiba.
I have an external mouse in it right now so i can move the cursor around. Also, I havn't made any changes to the system lately.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, let's try the simple procedure, and hope it helps. On most laptops, this key is at the bottom left of the keyboard, but if it's not, just look for it. You're looking for the fn key. it's usually purple. I want you to press and hold that fn key and then look for a symbol of a mouse on the functions keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.) It should show a mouse, and then a mouse with an X through it. Something like that. Now, press and hold that fn key, and then press the key with the mouse on it, and let go. Does your touchpad work now? I know my instructions were hazy, so if I lost you, tell me.

seanp

seanp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It hasn't worked for me :whistling:

However im not sure if i followed your instructions cleary, what I did was held the Fn key down then press F9 (the key with the mouse on it) and then let go of both. Is that the way?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Yes it is. The best way to make sure you did it right, is that your external mouse should stop working, right? That's how you switch from external to touch pad, so that both don't run at once.