Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DOS programs crashing

• Please log in to reply

mridang_agarwal

mridang_agarwal

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
hey guys, im facing a small problem. earlier when i wnated to ping a computer i woulf go the the "Run" box in the "Start" menu and type "ping 192.168.0.1". This used to work flawlessly but now everytime i type ping - it executes ping.com instead of pin.exe and the whole ping program crashes. This is happening for other DOS programs too suck as chkdsk and defrag. i have to suffix everything with a ".exe" to make it execute. Anyone know what the problem is?

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
When you say that it "crashes", what exactly happens? Does the window just pop up quickly and close? Or do you get an error (please include the error if you get one)? Or, does the window freeze?

Please try going to Start | Run and type cmd.exe. This will open a Command Prompt that will allow you to run DOS commands like ping, chkdsk, and defrag. Does this work?