Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't power up... at all

• Please log in to reply

Davedavedavedave

Davedavedavedave

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm wondering what exactly would cause a laptop computer to, in the space of seconds, lose its ability to power up.

I spilt a drink on the desk with my laptop today, and pulled the machine off just as it touched the side with the fan. The contact couldn't have been more than a second. There was also a little bit that splashed on the keyboard. Moments later, I saw the light go off and since then it hasn't powered up once. The battery is fully charged and its plugged in, so it's definitely not a source problem.

I'm not sure what would cause this to happen, as I'm very careful (usually) and it was only the minimal amount of liquid that made contact with the fan area. Basically, what I want to ask is could this minor spill have caused the entire thing to stop powering? It's an IBM Thinkpad series.

Thanks for any help you can give me, and I can answer any follow-up questions.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Have you given the liquid time to dry before powering it back on? What kind of drink was it? (Trust me, I'm going somewhere with that lol )

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I had a customer (several years back) spill an entire Big Gulp in her IBM R40. She powered it off, and presented the laptop unto me with Coke still running out of the bottom of the laptop.

I thought the laptop was a total loss, but for fun I took it apart soaked up the Coke and allowed it to air dry for about a week. When I put it back together, the darn thing fired up!

Edited by WindyPants, 25 July 2006 - 08:26 AM.

Davedavedavedave

Davedavedavedave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
It was Sprite Zero. I'm sure that only about a teaspoonful got into the laptop. I tried turning it on a few times but nothing happened and now it's unplugged with the battery out and I'm going to let it dry for awhile I guess, it's been 24 hours though..