Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W3 U

• Please log in to reply

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
I'm not sure if it is practical but as I am taking a breather from the next flash tutorial (should be done with the next 24 hours) I was thinking, (no thats not the impractical part :whistling:) with the number of web developers and hobbyists that coem here and the success of Geek U it might be a good thing for the community if we were to start a W3 U (just a though on the name) obviousely based on web design and web application design. although we would need people who were willing to put the time and effort into making it work. Just a though I know it would be a hassle on the part of the admins and I'm not sure if we have enough TT's who would be willing to put the time in, but i know i'de be glad to offer my assistance.

if it seems practical

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Count me in. I've been winging it for a year and a half, have 8 sites online and two I'm currently building. Boy, can I ever see the difference between when I first started (didn't know any html) and now. I'm not good enough to "teach", but I know enough to help newbies, or make aesthetic suggestions. There are lots of folks here at G2G I would love to learn from, too.
Johanna

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I think i'd be a great idea!
Still learning myself and like Johanne i've been winging it. I currently have a site myself but in great need of expanding my knowledge to other area's then just HTML and a bit of flash.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 November 2006 - 04:00 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
We are discussing options for a program like this, or something similar. One thing we need to do is gauge the interest. Please reply here to express your interest, or volunteer to help.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Sounds like a great idea... I'm all for it and would be more than willing to toss my two cents in on occasion.

I like the idea of a one stop shop type of place to get your technical information.

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
Well I'm glad to see others would like to be part of this, hopfully we can get a few more

Edited by Magosis, 02 August 2006 - 03:56 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I moved this from the comments and suggestions forum to the web design/hosting forum where it's likely to get a better response. :whistling:

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
Sounds good Blair I hope that we can get this off the ground

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
I'm interested in learning some application design, and would like to help get people started

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
Good to see TaNK. Keeping my fingers crossed we can get more

Advertisements

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Great IDEA. I would love to help out.

(BUMP)

Edited by Listerofsmeg, 18 August 2006 - 06:04 AM.

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
well we hae a few people who seem interested. hopefully we can get a couple more. :whistling: what would we want to see in a curiculum?

Edited by Magosis, 12 September 2006 - 02:28 PM.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Introduction to web design (mentions HTML, how browsers actually make displays based off of source files, basic client-server explanation, no actual code)
  • HTML (4.01 transitional)
  • CSS
  • Introduction on browser/server scripting (how they are different, the uses, no actual code)
then a choice of one of the following
  • XHTML
  • JavaScript
  • PHP
After completing one of the above, one would pick another.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I would be willing to help, but I think I would just drive every one crazy, I am a web standard/no tables/use css fanatic. I can do some JavaScript and php as well.

I don't think xhtml does not need to be taught in its own category, some of my pages work as 100% valid xhtml just by change what is in the <head> tag and the DOCTYPE. They are almost the same thing as far as the normal writer is conserned, you just have to close all tags. Very few a interested in being able to put SVG, or MathML with in there xhtml document.

Edited by Michael, 27 September 2006 - 11:16 PM.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
finally a response! i agree now that you put it that way, maybe xhtml should be part 2 of the "2. HTML", which would consist of a) html 4.01 transitional, then b)xhtml. i don't even know what svg and mathml is lol. i think it would be good that the php or js courses be example-oriented (after a quite brief introduction about the language itself). I learned PHP on examples from w3schools.com