Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE Hard disk failure, says not formatted

• Please log in to reply

funtmachine

funtmachine

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey,

I have two IDE hard disks on my pc. C runs the XP system files, and D contains only files - music, games etc...

Today, I bought a LCD monitor (not that it should have anything to do with this problem, but i'm tellin the whole story..) and when i went to set it up, i noticed that the D drive wasnt being recognised anymore, it would say "The disk in drive D is not formatted, format now?"

Even when changing back to the old monitor (for superstitious reasons more than anything else) it stayed like this..

The drive is physically recognised by xp, however its name used to be D: (Tahlula), and now its D: (Local Disk)...

there is a small sound when trying to access something that is trying to read from drive D, i only noticed this today...does anyone know if these drives just die like this, and/or if the data on it is not recoverable...

Could it be an XP problem? (i'm running XP Pro by the way)

Anyways, thanks in advance..

Dave

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...there could be something wrong with the disk...

do start > run > chkdsk d: /f
let that run to completeion and report any errors

also

right click on my computer > manage > disk manager > does the disk show up there? can you give us a screenshot?

Hellspawn

Hellspawn

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Im having the same exact problem.

I purchased a 320 WD IDE HDD to backup all my important files before a re-format, after the format and reinstallation of XP, my drive was doing the same exact thing, I tried the drive on multiple system with no luck, I downloaded/bought Stellar Phoenix NTFS / FAT data recovery tool, bought ANOTHER EXACT HD to recover the data to, was able to successfully recover the data and the new drive was visible, along with all files, but after transfering the drive into my main machine, it did the same exact thing.

I ran partition table doctor and the scan told me that it was a corrupted bootsector on the drive but was unable to fix, so I have these two drives with the same exact problem, I cant call it coincidence, im either doing something wrong or these drives need to be configured differently (multiple partitions mabey?)

funtmachine

funtmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeh, sorry about the duplicate, messed that one up...

i have sorted things out, and for future reference, this is what i did....

There is a program called SpinRite, an exe that every computer person should have, in case hdd problems arise. I was lucky in the fact that it was a corrupted MFT in NTFS....

What you do, is make a bootable disk of this spinRite exe, and boot it, it checks your drive sector by sector, and graphically shows you the status of each sector... In my case, i only had one bad sector that was causing me all the problems....

Then, i did what you said, and ran chkdsk <driveLetter> /p

and that found and fixed the error... now, its all back to good....

Along my way, i found some recovery apps that were useful....

EasyRecovery, GetDataBack were the easiest to use, and will recover your files if there is no file system directory structure available... this option isnt as good, as all the files come back as FIL1.mp3.....or FIL45.jpg etc.

Thats some info for those who may need it...

Thanks again, This forum is always where i go to understand the problems my computer has....cheers

Dave :whistling:

Edited by funtmachine, 28 July 2006 - 02:09 AM.

funtmachine

funtmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
hellspawn,

what i reckon might be happening, like mine, is that the NT file system on your HDD is corrupt, for whatever reason, thats beyond my scope, but download Spinrite, and make a bootable Cd, or Floppy, its a small file...
Boot up with the disk, and go to the RECOVER section, with that drive selected... give the drive a scan, and watch the graphical view, to see what the status is, although i would recommend a coffee or ten, as my 80GB HDD took an hour... i think yours would take about 4-5...

if that seems to go through ok, then go to the recovery console on next boot, and run chkdsk <drive> /p, and see if that works, you could alternatively go Start->Run>chkdsk <drive> /p on next boot, each to their own...

Thats all i needed to do to fix it. Your problem might be a little different, not really sure, i think, give it a go..

hope it helps...

Dave

Edited by funtmachine, 28 July 2006 - 02:23 AM.

newguyca

newguyca

• Pip
  • 4 posts
have you went to the hard drive site and got a zero back program should bring it back to factory settings

Edited by newguyca, 03 August 2006 - 12:24 AM.