Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

software needed

• Please log in to reply

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Hey all
(jez i luv this place :help:)

wos wondering bout 2 things, wanna set up a web site from home

1) i need some software to design my site, i'm ok at codes, html, java and a bit (albiet not much) php BUT i cant do it all by purly looking at codes, i just cant do it. so i need some designing software, i have NVU but frankly i dont like it. my microsoft office is screwed up so i can get frontpage working (which aint too bad) i used to use dreamweaver at college (sorry but i got to say version6 is beta than 8!!!) which wos BRILL but i cant afford anything like that. does anyone know of any GOOD, FREE, DOWNLOADABLE web design software lol. altho it mite be easier to find the holy grail than a program that matchs those 3 requirements lol

2) does anyone know any good and EASY to use ptf (im guessing here, its some combo of those 3 letters- i think :blink: not too sure, its a program so u can allow others online to view folders etc on YOUR pc- so i can turn my pc into a server basically) which also lol NEEDS to be free lol.

thanks you guys, ur always big helps
kisses n cuddels u guys xxx :whistling:

Advertisements

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
Well therre are a few options really although I have a system for working them without an editor I use when working on clients machines. this allows me to use some editor funcitonality withour having to have one installed

Check it out

Posted Image

as for your second question, I would recoment looking at apache web server for that and setting up FTP folder compatability

Edited by Magosis, 25 July 2006 - 01:37 PM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I am assuming you are running this from a Windows PC?

If you truly want free I suggest Linux... The OS is free, the software is free, configuration has a little bit of a learning curve but honestly there are so many HOW-TO's on the web plus Google that you will find how to setup and configure what you are looking for quite easily.

Setup a Linux box (I use Debian 3.1), get Apache, PHP, mySQL (if you desire a database) and Pure-FTPD (your FTP server software).

Do a search for LAMP on Google to get the step by step for a Linux, Apache, mySQL, PHP setup, do a search for pure-ftpd how-to.

With a little patience you will have a server running and for nothing more than the cost of the PC and the internet connection.

As to you first question, if you want a very basic GUI web tool you can download Mozilla (not Firefox, but the Mozilla browser) and it comes with a WYSIWYG HTML tool.

You could also download Dreamweaver and try to cram your design into the trial period they give you with the software as it is fully functional for I think 30 days.

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
thanks getting software really helps, i downloaded the latest version of wamp. but the prob is i have no idea how to use it lol. the help files with it are to complex, can anyone help me with this? lol (p.s thanks for the link to the software tho u guys!!!!!!)

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I will give 2 thoughts on this... cause the other 2 guys kinda gave you an advanced answer not really complimenting your level of intrest in these items you requested....

I would recommend A: if you are building a simple site, one for friends, starting a portal/ forum system for your friends to keep in touch is an excellent AND FREE idea...

www.shadedgreen.com is my test forums, you can get the program to make this by going to www.phpbb.com a lot of it will BOG your mind down, like omg I dont know how to do this, but take some time to read some stuff.

B: As for webdesign software that is free, there are many tools im sure you can find by searching google...

Do you have your own host or pay for one? Or are you looking for a site that will let you host a free webpage?

If you pay for space, its worth the time to learn how to design stuff and use free programs to do it.
If you dont own your own space, most free sites wont allow you to upload much of your own free stuff.

AS for an actual program to help you make your website, a really good free one is....

http://www.freedownl...iews/r1818.html

Good luck.