Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fried motherboard or just confused?

• Please log in to reply

debanen

debanen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay I have laying next to me a computer which will power up as soon as I plug it in (before even touching the power button). The fan turns and I see the hard drive lights on. I don't hear the normal *beep* when the ram is supposed to load and the monitor isn't getting a signal. Also the power button seems to have completely lost effect and I have to unplugg the computer to get it to turn off. I've tested the hard drive, power supply, and ram. I've even gone through and cleaned the dust off of everything (it's weird seeing it look brand new). I've also tried it with nothing but the power, motherboard, and ram and it acts the same way.

My best guess is that the motherboard is fried but I'm hoping you guys can prove that theory wrong. Any ideas?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
things I would look at are Power supply, motherboard, vidoe card and cpu in that order. One thing you can try is to unplug everything except video,memory and cpu it you still get nothing try removing memory and then the video you should get beeps with MOST boards....

debanen

debanen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried it with video, memory and CPU and got nada (well except for the fan running and otherwise being unresponsive). I've tried it without memory and still the same. I can't remove the video card because it's built into the motherboard.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
PSU seems most likely, just pray that your mobo is alright. Last time my psu got fried it took down the mobo, the hard drive and the gfx card. Remember always buy quality psu and a nice power surge protector.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Yeah you might be lucky and it only be a power supply.... lately I've seen a lot of computers like that but the motherboard goes too... good luck

debanen

debanen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Power supply is fine and I was able to check the CPU in another computer... which pretty much eliminates everything but the motherboard...*cringe*. Is there anything I missed?

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
what kind of power supply do you have? and exactly how do you know it's fine? Don't get me wrong i just don't want to see you getting a new mobo and pluggin everything into the psu and bam..... everything fries again.