Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Drive Creating Massive Slowdown

• Please log in to reply

CKramer

CKramer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
The problem is basically that my laptop's DVD-RW drive (it's an HP Pavilion model, not sure if it matters) has recently started experiencing a constant problem that causes my computer to slow to a crawl whenever any activities related to reading off an optical disk are performed. In other words, I can't use use a data disk, play games on DVDs or CDs, etc.

I have installed (and since uninstalled, to no avail) DaemonTools.

Any ideas on what the problem is? Somehow damaged drivers? Broken hardware? Starforce? How do I fix it?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
When did this start? have you made any changes to the system recently? Do you have virus and Spyware protection? Are there any other strange happenings going on inside the computer that you know of?

CKramer

CKramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Let's see, I have virus protection (McAfee, not ideal, but hey, it was free) but no spyware protection as far as I know.

I haven't made any major changes to the computer anytime around the time the problems began. I did switch language settings to Japanese one time, but I doubt that's related.

As far as I know, nothing else is wrong with the computer. The computer runs fine when the disk is just sitting in the computer, but when I try to do anything (even just open the disk folder) I can hear the disk spinning rapidly in the drive (much louder than usual) and Task Manager tells me that whatever application is using the disk is taking up 100% of my system processes, and yet it takes forever to burn a CD, etc.

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
From TASK MANAGER, what application is using 100% of your CPU?

Also, how much free space is left on your disk?

Bonus Question > When is the last time the disk was de-fragged?

CKramer

CKramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Task Manager: Whatever application is using the disk (Sonic if burning a disk, the game if playing a game off the disk, etc.)

Free Space: 5.5 GB

Defragged: Never.

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
/nods. I didn't word my earlier question very well, so I apologize for that.

But considering TASK MANAGER, are there any applications running under the PROCESSES tab that seem to be "hogging" up resources?

CKramer

CKramer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, like I said, the applications hogging disk space are the same ones that are running. If I'm watching an AVI file on a disc, then Windows Media takes up 100% of my CPU.