Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot fails after full system recovery Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

blaze_1

blaze_1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
I need help. I have some basic computer skills, but this is beyond me. I was having trouble with internet explorer and some other software that was oem for my Compaq Presario 1020nx desktop. I also had a puper trojan virus a few months ago that I kicked with GeeksToGo help. My hard drive was full of crap I wasn't using, plus I wanted to fix these program problems.

I tried using the windows reapir utilities and even looked up the GTG help for windows xp issues. Nothing worked. I decided to wipe the hard drive and start over. I put in the system recovery disks and went thru all 6 disks for the full system recovery. I put in my windows xp boot disk that came with the compaq. It won't boot up using the disk. I went into the BIOS mode to change the boot to the cd rom. That didn't work either. when I boot up I can get into safe mode, but get an error saying system recovery incomplete. I called HP support and paid $30 to have some guy named Nippan have my try all this stuff all over and then tell me he can't figure it out, but I can pay $199 to send it in for repairs. I told him that if it is the hard drive I can get a new one for that money with twice the size now.

Please Help! I don't want to buy a whole new PC, but if I gotta can't I just get a new hard drive and put it in this one?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Compaq, along with H-P, has a bad habit of putting a recovery partition on the hard drive. All the recovery CD has on it is a small program that finds this hidden partition and restores from it. If you used a 6 set of boot disks to wipe and format the drive you have also wiped the hidden partition from the drive. Now you will need a retail windows XP CD to install XP back on your computer. I always recommend to people that have these computers to make a recovery cd set so they don't have a problem when a HD goes bad. I also ask them to try the cd's while the computer is brand new to make sure they work. Twice i have seen cd sets that did not work. A call to H-P let these people buy a recovery Cd that has XP on it for $50. Maybe H-P does not do this anymore but 4 months ago i did receive one of these cd's myself. My H-P XP Pro cd will only install on H-P computers, but it will install on any H-P i choose.

SRX660

blaze_1

blaze_1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:whistling:

I have it working now. It was true, the recovery disks did not have windows xp on them and the boot disk that they gave me for xp was bad. I just happened to have another win xp disk from another pc that I had. I tried it anf erything is working again, except of course now I have to reinastall everything. would it be better to have an external hrad drive for storage and keep the partition on the smaller drive?