Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi guys, I was just watching a DVD several minutes ago, and I paused it so I could write something down, and when I hit play I got the blue screen. The only change I have made to the system recently, was installing the new Yahoo Messenger BETA last night, so I just not uninstalled it and went back to the old version. I'm concerned however, becuase I looked on Everest, thinking that this might be an overheating issue, and here's what it says...

GPU 56 *C 133 *F (Too hot for a video card?!)
GPU Ambient 42 *C 108 *F
Seagate (model number/my HD) 38 *C 100 *F

I'm kind of worried, isn't that a bit hot for a GPU? I tried using Speedfan, but I'm a bit confused on how it works... I'll have to experiment with it. Here are some more system configurations if they help...

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 9100
Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport i945G/P
System Memory 2048 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (05/25/05)
Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6800 PCI-E

This blue screen thing really freaked me out, and I'm not very familiar with them. Can someone please help? :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really do not think that is too hot. Even my FX5200 card routinely runs at 50-55° when i am running or recording dvd's. Meanwhile my cpu(intel 3.0)is running a 46-48°. At idle the cpu is at 35° and the graphics card is at 42° simply because theres little air that flows past it. A slot cooler reduced the gpu temp by only 2° so was deemed useless and removed. Opening up the side cover and blowing a floor fan in was interesting that gpu temp reduced by 8° and the cpu only reduced by 3°. Yours could run a bit cooler but since i have not run one yet i really don't know.

This is illuminating on the 6800 temps normally.

http://www.nvnews.ne...ra/page_9.shtml

SRX660

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, so maybe it was Yahoo! messenger BETA which was causing instability? Also, how did that site get that application which shows the temperature? I use Everest now, which is fine, I just didn't know the 6800 had it's own application?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found that control, and the temperatures are accurate. I guess this isn't too hot, becuase the core isn't supposed to slow down unless it hits like 125 celcius or something... I guess it was the yahoo! messenger BETA causing all these issues then? Thanks! :whistling:

Edited by Stormknight6, 25 July 2006 - 03:36 PM.