Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Repair

• Please log in to reply

Jer0920

Jer0920

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz:

Yesterday I found your site and copied the procedure from 12/02/03 describing how to repair Windows XP. I loaded the XP CD and restarted, but my regular desktop came up. I ran the CD and selected Windows Setup 1st option. However I got an error message stating that my version on my computer was newer than the version on the CD. It stated if I continued, I would lose data (which I knew already from your procedure). I tried to continue, but that option was "faded out" where I could not select it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
did the pc come with sp2 already installed?
what o/s is it home or pro? and are you trying to install pro over home?

Jer0920

Jer0920

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I bought the PC from Dell in 2001 (XP Home) and added SP2 early in 2004. I am not installing XP Pro.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
can you boot up in safe mode?

Jer0920

Jer0920

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have not attempted. What does that do and where do you find it?

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
tap your f8 key whilst pc is booting up. it it works you get a screen that gives you option to start in safe mode. if you can get into safe mode go to add/remover programs in control panel and remove sp2.

if you can't get into safe mode then it become a little more complicated and you need to create a slipstreamed disc more to follow if needed... try safe mode option first

Jer0920

Jer0920

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you. I will try again this evening & report back.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
if you can't get into safe mode then here is how to creat a slipstream disc

what you have to do is something called "slipstreaming" which is basically taking the service pack for xp and applying it to the files on the original xp cd (actually a copy of the cd that you copy to HD ). Then you burn a bootable cd with the new files you have created that is now "newer" than the xp home version you have installed. Follow these approximate steps:

You will need to access another pc with a cd rewriter

1. Go to http://www.autopatch...tostreamer.html and download. This is the program you use to create the file you are going to burn to the CD.
2. Go to microsoft's site and download the xp service pack 2 file. This is quite large.
3. Insert the original windows xp cd in your cd drive.
4. Run autostream
5. Run Nero or other CD burning program and use the "Recorder-->Burn Image" menu using the file that is created by autostream. Be sure to select "Finalize" and "Disc-at-Once" if you are using Nero.
6. Once the burn is done, run the CD that you just created and hopefully install windows

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
The error you are getting is because you are running the setup from within windows. You want to boot off the disc in order to do a repair install. If it isn't doing so now you need to go into your BIOS (usually F1, F2, or DEL) and set the boot order so that it will start from the cd. When you have that set correctly it will come up with "Press any key to boot from Cd...", and that point hit any key and you should be able to finish the steps.

Jer0920

Jer0920

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That is what I found. My computer was not configured to boot from the CDROM. Once I changed the priority in BIOS, I was able to finally complete XP repair.

Unfortunately, once that was completed, I still had my longstanding error that I hoped would clear: "Unable to load service configuration object: CurtainsSysSvc.ServiceConfiguration" Also "could not reconnect all network drives" The system continues to run very slow. I will keep looking in your archives for something that seems relevant to my problem.