Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble with dumprep.exe

• Please log in to reply

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Occasionally my puter all but locks up. When this happens a process in task manager called "dumprep.exe" is using almost all of my cpu. If I end the dumprep.exe process everything seems to go back to normal. Info I have found on dumprep.exe seems to indicate that it is a microsoft process and should not be deleted. Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem? :whistling: Its not a major problem but can be annyoing and I dont know if I am going to do harm to something else when I go in and end the process.

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
dumprep.exe is a error dump preparation tool that makes a text file to send off the Microsoft in the event of a major system error. While MS may find it handy to get the info, it generally doesn't do much for you. You can disable Error Reporting to prevent this report from being sent, thus preventing dumprep.exe from running.

Do the following to disable Error Reporting:

Right click on My Computer and select Properties.

Click on the Advanced tab and then the Error Reporting button.

Change the option to "Disable error reporting."

You can also uncheck "But notify me when an error occurs" if you don't want to know when an error occurs.

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Excellent! Thank you so much for your help! :whistling:

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
You're welcome. :whistling: