Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

56k modem not installing correctly

• Please log in to reply

adamdillon

adamdillon

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
A customer of mine brought in a computer with a defective modem in it. So i went and bought him a new one and I can't get it to istall correctly. First off when I install it and turn the computer on the add new hardware wizard comes on 8 times because it recognizes 8 different modems. If i go through the wizard and try to add the correct driver for the modem it doesnt install correctly. When i go to the phone and modem options in the control panel it shows 8 different modems. Its the same one just each have a #2,#3,and so on. And out beside all of them it says not functional. What do I need to do?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Take the new modem out of the computer. Go into phone and modem options and delete all the modems. Check in device manager and see what modems are there. While you are there i would delete the new modem drivers. Reinstall the modem and try reinstalling the modem drivers. Then delete the old modem drivers. You may be able to delete the old modem drivers at the same time you delete the new modem drivers. One time when i did this i had to use a XP cd to install basic modem drivers before installig the real modem drivers. This has not happened in other modem installs i have done in XP.

SRX660