Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Increase harddisk space (using raid)

• Please log in to reply

bassey

bassey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a dell 2650 poweredge server which comes with 3 36G capacity hard disks.
That comes to 108GB. I need to increase this and I'm wondering if anyone can walk me through
or at least point me to a site that will.

I am thinking of replacing one of the disks with a 500GB disk but how do I transfer the data I currently have on the disk I am replacing and how does the partitioning work.

I know my questions are very general so I'm not expecting a detailed response (though I'd appreciate one!) but would appreciate if anyone who knows of any useful resources can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
What type of connection does the system have? I know the ones I have dealt with were SCSI disks. So if you want to add a disk you need to make sure that you can connect it. Does the system use a disk drive container? If so, you will need one of those too.

The process depends on how your system is currently set up. If the disk are configured as a raid array, then you will need to leave that or backup everything and restore it. If you have space to add another disk, then you can add it, but it won't be part of the current RAID array.

There are several tools to partition the disks, such as fdisk. You will have an issue if the three disks are a raid array and you want to replace just one disk since the rest of the space will not be usable.